Thread: Help!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Upset Help!!!!

Hey guys looking for some help as my rear brake is annoying me big time now.

Ive got myself a trek 4300 as I've taken a interest in mountain biking but since day 1 the rear brake has been making the whole bike vibrate when applied at first I thought it needed more time for the pads to bed in, but after about 100 miles now still no difference.

Any one had this before or know of something similar your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks Dan

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    New bike or old bike ?

Post a photo of your brake setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It's new bike.

Sorry can post a a photo later as I'm in work now but the details of the brake setup are

Hayes Dyno Sport hydraulic disc brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would start back at the beginning. Remove your disc, blast with brake cleaner, and sand lightly with an oscillating motion (you can use fine sandpaper, though it takes longer than coarser grit). Do the same with the pads. Re-adjust the calipers, making sure they are centered on the disc (plenty of threads about this on here). While you're down there, make sure the the pad is completely covering the braking track...you can fine tune with 0.5-1mm washers under the posts, if necessary.

10-20 stops on each brake from about 15ish mph, never allowing the bike to stop completely; ie: down to walking speed, back up to 15, down to walking speed, etc.

I'm willing to bet that will solve your problem, but report back if it doesn't.

mtbr member
    Live with it they all make noises and vibrate from time to time.
    It can be a combination of alignment, weather, pad compound, lack of heat, too much heat etc etc etc

Some do it more than others. Avids are rebound for it, and my hopes do it when damp.
    It's not doing any harm although its a bit annoying.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for replying. But safe to say I will not be made to live with it as the bike is brand new and trek have agreed to replace the frame as this is the only part yet to be replace. So happy vibration free biking soon.