mtbr member

Hell of a time with new bike

I am having a hard time adjusting to how good the hydraulic disk brakes on my Cannondale 29er are. I just had my second ride and I guess I just need to take it slowly until I get used to how good the brakes are. The bike that I had prior to this was a stock '95 full rigid GF with V pull brakes. I think the front suspension and the sensitivity of the front brakes are really throwing me off (both literally and figuratively LOL).

Thanks.

T.W.O.
    What kind of brake? what fork?

mtbr member
    Lefty 29'er w/ DLR, 80 mm (integrated air) and Avid Juicy 3, 185/160 mm fork had abut 90psi and was not locked out. I think I just need more time on the bike. I probably chose too technical trail a for a second time out on this bike.

T.W.O.
    What kind of issue do you have with your brake. You've mentioned "how good" I assume that you meant powerful, grabby. How many finger are you using to brake.

What does the fork do to stiff, to soft too quick too slow

mtbr member
    Brakes are grabby. I probably need to qualify that the front brakes are grabby. I think the fork is fine. Like I said. This is quite an upgrade from the old bike. I probably should have chose my words better on the thread title. I am going to try and take it slower the next few rides out and maybe go it alone. I was with a group on both the 1st and 2nd ride and there is always the pressure to keep up. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I use 2 fingers for braking.

T.W.O.
    The modern disc brake is very powerful, it's a good idea to use one finger braking technique, especially when you are using 185mm in the front. You have plenty of leverage to brake with one finger. It may help if you move the brake lever inward so your index finger is toward the end curve of the lever for maximum leverage.

If it's too powerful you can always down size your rotor to 160. But I think you'd be find just have to get use to and trust the power.