mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Hei from northern Norway ad Hayes Nine brake issue

Hei,

I am new to this forum and completely new to owning hydraulic brakes. I have been recently recommended to become part of this forum by a local bike mechanic. I remember 8 years ago I was assisted greatly by a diesel engine forum when I had just purchased a sailboat with a dead engine. With not much money and much time, I was able to rebuild the engine and components with the assistance of the forum. With that said, I look forward to engaging in a info filled exchange!

I rode for the first time a month ago at Åre Bike Park in Jemtland, Sweden. It was a blast. With two small children and a full-time study at university, my older passions have been too time consuming and I thought that biking or carrying or pushig a full.suspension bike up our many mountains locally here in Tromsø would be a good hobby with a little less time involvement.

I purchased a used 2007 Scott Nitrous 20 with Hayes HFX 9 brakes. All worked relatively well. The brakes pads needed changing and I immediately bought and assembled a bleed kit (Jagwire).

Rear: The numerous bleeds I have done to try to get a very "crisp" feel with not much travel has been realtively unsuccessful. I have trolled a lot of forums and watched a lot fo Youtube and talked to my local bike mechanic. Nothing is really giving me that crisp, low-travel feel.

Front: Here is the real problem. The front action was great, but the old pads were totally gone almost. I bled the system and replaced the pads and now, suddenly, I have no pressure in the system and although the pistons move a little, it is not enough to engage the pads to the rotor and the lever travels all the way to the handlebars. I have bled the front brakes now maybe 12 times in the past week trying to get the knack for it and using different tricks, but nothing works. There are no visible fluid leaks in the system and my bleeds resolve almost all air bubbles. What can it be? Master Cylinder air leak? I understand that there must be air getting in there somehow?

I have read many threads on this forum in the past week about this kind of issue. Does anyone care top throw in a little suggestion here for a newby? Thank you and I hope everyone is having fun and being happy out there.

JORBA
    For the front, check that the hose fitting is tight on the master....I had one that was not tight and had a small air leak.
    For the lever feel, check to see if the rotors are worn....they may need to be replaced.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the reply, I will check out those things. Since it had been a week or so since I posted, I wound up dismantelling the kalipers and found our that the front had a "stuck" piston. It was not fully stuck, just not getting very much action compared to the other. I am awaiting a rebuild kit in the mail. Maybe a different metals beginning to fuse thing going on since the bike did not see much action for a few years before I bought it.

I just bought another "enduro" rig from a German guy who had to sell his bike just before leaving the country. Its a NOX Flux FR 6.5 with some detailed and top of the line components. German engineering...the frame is not particularly "sexy" like the newer ones, but the geometry is a winner and its practical, simple, well designed and no flashy stuff going on. Much more suited to the riding around here, but the other bike will now become my "tear everything apart and learn how to put it back together rig". And no Hayes brakes on this one...

Norðwegr
    Hvor i Tromsø bor du?
    Jeg kan kanskje stikke innom for å se om det er noe jeg kan gjøre
    Terrengsykkel.no og Ride Tromsø har norske forum

-----

Replied to him in Norwegian about helping locally.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Have you tried putting in positive pressure from the caliper end after the bleed? I had the same problem with my HFX-9s, too much throw in the lever, once I used the positve pressure method it was perfect.

Here is the vid I used for it : Hayes HFX 9 IMPROVED Performance - YouTube

Hope you can work out your prob, took me about 4 bleeds to get it right, when you do the positive bleed make sure the pads only move a tiny bit before letting off some pressure and closing the bleed screw, if you put too much pressure in you wont be able to move your lever at all because too much pressure will be in the lines.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hei,

Jeg bor på øya! Jeg egentlig er en deltakere i ridetromso.com, men ikke i terrengsykkel enda. Navnet mitt på ridetromso.com er Tim...som sagt er jeg gaske nytt til aktivitet men veldig gira! Klatring var min sak i mange år men jeg det har blitt vanskelig å komme meg ut på klatretur nå med to barn og alt. her i Tromsø har jeg oppdaget at jeg kan være på toppen av en vakker tind , og så få en skikkelig flott opplevelse på veien ned alt i om 2 timer. Vi har det veldig vakkert og tilgjengelig her i Tromsø!!!!!!

Men det med Hayes HFX 9....kankje kunne bruke litt hjelp.