Thread: Heavy Rotor

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Heavy Rotor

I just got a new bike: Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc. The rotor on the bike seems rather heavy, a little to heavy for my liking. It has Shimano M416, mechanical disc, 160mm CenterLock rotors on it. Since I am bound to get into XC racing, I would like to lighten the rotor a little. Is it worth is? I just feel that they are to heavy for my bike and for the brakes that they come with. They seem unwieldy. So should I get new rotors, or stick with the same rotor. If I get new ones, what is a lightweight rotor that would be compatible with my brakes? Thanks

I don't think you're going to find a great variance among steel rotors of a given size. You can go to an aluminum rotor, but with reduced performance. There are some slightly lighter steel rotors out there, you might look at Alligator rotors. FWIW the diameter of the rotor is relatively small, and the rotational weight as a result isn't a big factor like it would be with heavy rims (which you might have). Might want to look at some of the rotors here to get an idea http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...ype=discbrakes
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    is this a joke???

banned
    I was thinking the same thing...

However, if the op is getting into racing, then I would just ride with the bike to train, in heavy form and then race on a real race bike or something more set up for racing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    get a 140mm rear rotor, the dirt jump kids will be envious.