mtbr member

Heavy Duty Rotor

Ok so I'm the kinda guy that drives fast, takes chances and beats the bag outta things.
    So over the years I bent, broke and smashed up quite a few things.

Disc brake rotors are on the list of bent things. I tend to stop really short for no good reason, and sometimes pull stoppies.

Now I could just ride like a somewhat normal person but that's just not for me.

So I'm looking for a rotor that is thick, heavy and won't warp easy.

Another route I was thinking of going was getting a piece of .80-.100" thick stainless steel and machining a rotor.

So does any know what type of stainless steel these rotors are made from?
    '05 Mountain cycle fury
    DJ3 forks
    FSA cranks
    Race face/shimano chainrings

74 & 29 pilot
    Look at Hope's rotors. I've never used them, but they look HD. The Vented rotors might be to wide though.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you're having warping issues, go to a larger rotor diameter.

FWIW, my new-in-box Magura rotors are .075" thick, so your .80" rotors would be more suited to a Chevy Since I know you meant .080-.10", that's going to be too thick to fit in your calipers even with new pads retracted fully. You'd then have to machine every set of pads thinner, which is way too much trouble and opens up service life issues.

More mass in the rotor itself will absorb more heat. In that case the particular Magura rotors I have ($11 each for 203mm from HnR at Christmastime) would probably suit you as well as any. There aren't going to many choices for what you want, since most people want lighter rotors...but the inexpensive rotors will typically be heavier (more mass).

That said, the fancy two-piece stuff can cool better, and so may be of more benefit.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hope vented floating disc. Those are some proper, heavy duty DH rotors. In terms of ability to dissipate/withstand heat, you can't do much better. They are also among the thickest rotors produced at 3mm (IIRC) -> they should therefore be among the most bend-resistant rotors out there. Don't know about impact resistance, though.

Only drawback is you need to have Hope V2's to use them...