mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Hayes Trails - hyper extended piston & bleed help

I tried searching for answers with no luck. Long story so please bear with me.

So, I had a sticky piston that wouldn't retract all the way, caused some rubbing. I was trying to fix it but ran out of time so left the bike sitting. Any way, pads were out of the caliper and bike was sitting in the garage. Wife was busy and my my kid decided to start squeezing the levers and popped out the piston from the bore. I found the piston fully extended and fluid dripping out of the caliper.

I wiped down the piston and put it back in. Ran two bleeds through it but the lever still pulls to the grip.

Is the problem that there is still air in the system or did she do something to screw it up when she popped the piston out of the bore? Any suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No big deal, and I can't imagine she messed anything up, but you may possibly have damaged the square shaped o-ring when you put it back in there, causing some air to come in or fluid out. If you're pretty confident that you didn't damage that o-ring, then I would do a few more bleeds and make sure you're snapping the lever in and out according to the hayes stroker bleed video on youtube. Sounds like you still haven't gotten all the air out. I've had to re-do my stroker trail bleeds before because I didn't get air all the way out, and the symptom (lever to the grip) was the same.

hope that helps.
    Sam

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    slindblom, thanks for the reply. there was fluid that leaked out when the piston initially popped out but once I put it back in it wasn't showing any signs of leaks.

ended up running another bleed through it. used a ton of fluid and got another good push of air through/out the system. fixed the other piston's sticky issue too. runs better than ever now.

good dirt!

Members who have read this thread: 0