mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Hayes strokers driving me crazy

Just bought a 2008 Trance 1 on closeout and the Hayes Stroker Trail brakes are driving me crazy.

I took it back to the bike shop 3 times already and they can't seem to fix it. Here are the symptoms:

Doesn't happen right away, usually after about 15-20 min of riding usu when i've ridden through a puddle
    Once the squeak starts it gets louder and louder and is pretty consistent but then the next day it is gone
    It is LOUD! You can hear me from pretty far away.
    Squeak goes away when i feather the rear brake lever
    The rotor seems true by looking visually at it but i dont have a truing stand
    Once it is squeaking it doesn't matter if i am pedaling or not
    Does not matter if i am in the saddle or out of the saddle
    the levers seem fine...as in they aren't mushy

I tried centering the brakes by doing the loosen bolts>squeeze lever> tighten bolt
    I've tried centering them visually also by looking at the caliper from above

can anyone give any suggestions? it is driving me CRAZY!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpbr
    Just bought a 2008 Trance 1 on closeout and the Hayes Stroker Trail brakes are driving me crazy.

I took it back to the bike shop 3 times already and they can't seem to fix it. Here are the symptoms:

Doesn't happen right away, usually after about 15-20 min of riding usu when i've ridden through a puddle
    Once the squeak starts it gets louder and louder and is pretty consistent but then the next day it is gone
    It is LOUD! You can hear me from pretty far away.
    Squeak goes away when i feather the rear brake lever
    The rotor seems true by looking visually at it but i dont have a truing stand
    Once it is squeaking it doesn't matter if i am pedaling or not
    Does not matter if i am in the saddle or out of the saddle
    the levers seem fine...as in they aren't mushy

I tried centering the brakes by doing the loosen bolts>squeeze lever> tighten bolt
    I've tried centering them visually also by looking at the caliper from above

can anyone give any suggestions? it is driving me CRAZY!
    What did the shop try ? I'd clean / sand the rotors & pads or replace the pads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    they tried the same things i've tried:
    cleaning the rotor
    sanding the rotor
    centering the calipers

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had an issue caused by the standard pads. I replaced them and they have been great brakes since.

canuck
    throw some new pads on

it sounds like contamination, pads probably got brake fluid on them during installation and it soaked in.

I like koolstops and ebc pads.