mtbr member

Hayes Stroker Trail v Avid Elixir CR

Does anyone have experience with both of these brakes? I have the Stroker Trails with a 160 in the back and 185 in the front and they don't stop me as well as I'd like them to. But I do really like the feel of the lever. I weigh 160 and ride an Ibis Mojo so its not a weight issue. I have a Maxxis Crossmark in the back and Maxxis Ignitor in the front.

What are your thoughts will the Avid Elixir give me more stopping power?

TNC
    noMAD man
    The Elixirs are about the strongest brake I've felt to this point except for true DH/FR models. I have them on a Nomad and an '08 SJ FSR. The SJ came with a 203/185 rotor combo that was way too strong for the Elixirs. I went to 185/160 for a still strong but more controllable setup. I always ran a 203 on the front of the Nomad but was able to go to 185 on the front when I installed the Elixirs. They're darned strong brakes, and allegedly it's the taperbore design that's supposed to make the difference. I have not ridden the Hayes ST, but I'd be shocked if they were at the power level of the Elixirs.

I like rocks
    Nov 2007
    I've been doing a few upgrades to my fs bike, and brakes were at the top of the list of things to change. I was able to check out a few on friends/shop bikes and really liked the Elixir CRs better than anything else. The Strokers were also really good but not quite up to the sheer power the Elixirs had.

That being said, I had budget constraints and got a good deal on a set of Stroker Trails. While they don't have all the power of the Elixirs, I like their modulation a bit more, and the power is more than ample in my opinion so I'm happy.

The other brake I really liked was the Magura Louise BATs (though I wasn't overly fond of the lever - but power and modulation were very nice) for about the same price as the Elixirs.
    If you go looking for trouble, you can be sure it's gaining from behind.

squish is good
    I've ridden Stroker Trails with metallic pads and 8"/7" rotors on a Reign and they are stronger than Juicy's but not at a Code level. I've really only pedaled a set of Elixer CR's around a parking lot so I'm not sure of their ultimate strength but I'd say they are in the ballpark of each other.

I plan on purchasing a set of Elixers for the downhill bike this summer though if that means anything. The Strokers are good brakes but I haven't been able to pin down a noise problem with mine and I'm about fed up with it to be honest. The brake works great, just howls like a banshee if I apply it for more than a second at a time.
    Bike good, work bad.

banned
    FWIW, lots of good reviews of Elixirs are coming in, even from the German tests.