mtbr member

hayes stroker trail

i've been on this system for a little over a year and im just not that impressed with the stopping power. the front brake doesn't generate enough power to even do a stoppie. granted im on the heaver side (200) w/o ride gear but my old BB7s had more than these.. not to rag on the Strokers... i still prefer them to the bb7s but its the little things that add up over time. before switching to a bigger rotor i want to try a different pad. I'm still running the stock sintered pad with a rondagon 160mm rotor.

What material would give me the best stopping power. michigan weather, mix of weather/trail conditions.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

mtbr member
    I had the same problem, but I remembered they USED to be very bity... after inspecting the pads, I noticed that they were shiny, and although sanding them down and degreasing seemed to work a little.... they really came back to life after installing some new Semi-metallic pads! I can launch myself over my handlebars with a 160mm front rotor again, and instantly dropped any though of getting a new brakingsystem.
    As far as I know, the semi's wear a little quicker in wet/muddy conditions, but the old sintereds never seemed to wear out at all, and as my current pads are dirt-cheap (superstar components) I don't really care! discobrakes.com seems to have some nice deals as well.

mtbr member
    semi metallic was the direction i was leaning also, but having never swapped anything out on these brakes i just wasnt sure if it would make a difference like it did on my juicy 7's. i was just checking out discobrakes... they only had medium (don't know what compound that is) and sintered. jensonusa has a bunch of different options.. do you know if the same pads that fit the old mags will fit stroker trails? pricepoints next best option had a set of semi's for just under 18.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9

offroader
    Dec 2008
    go with bigger rotors

I've got 2 pair on different bikes, they are plenty strong (much more powerful than my bb7's) it could be dirty pads?

mtbr member
    I'm guessing that medium is the same as semi-metallic. Sintered is (almost) full metallic, and organic is hardly metallic, so I'm guessing Medium is somewhere in between.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Depends on what you are doing, but for your weight 160mm seems kinda small IMO. I have the same brakes and went to semi-met and V7 and wow what a difference. You can get the V7 and adapter for less than $30 on pricepoint. So for about $45.00 including pads, you can't beat that set-up over the V6 and semi-met's. If you are a weight weenie thought....it adds a little over 70g though...Well worth it IMO....Just my .02

mtbr member
    I don't understand how people have problems stopping with modern hydrolic disc brakes on these bikes. I'm a 210lb triathlete with 203 front, 185 rear Hayes Strokers and I can flip over the front of my bike if I grip down on my front brake. They lock up easily if I just grip down.....

Maybe you need new pads or rotors or something???

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    your rotors are too small, and the worst possible rotors on the market.

get a bigger rotor in anything thats not a roundagon!

mtbr member
    I've got V6's, and I'm 200lbs. I may not do much downhilling, but I know my brakes, and I can stop as good as I want to.
    I might one-day upgrade the front to V7 in the form of those new Alligator lightweight rotors, but until I have a damn good reason, I'm perfectly happy with my current setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i could launch myself over the bars with my pos v-brakes.. thats really not the point of brakes at all, or even a good bar to judge things by.

at 200lbs i destroy 6 inch rotors. its too steep here, they just cook and turn blue. they'll still dump me over the bars, but theres still many reasons i had to go up a size in rotors.

ride hard take risks
    The Hayes Semi Metallic pads are great.

Also be sure to set them up properly. The Hayes bleed video can also be used as a set-up guide.

Stroker bleeding video
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    rotor for the $25 range... 180/5 mm rotor. what do you recommend/ advise to stay away from. I'm going to splurge on a new rotor/adapter/pads...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...sc.aspx?s=1336
    http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb.htm?...price&ascend=0
    Last edited by laackund; 05-07-2009 at 02:21 PM.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9

29 some of the time...
    both ends for $70
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...pgrade-Kit.htm
    get some new pads or properly clean your current ones

Once you got 7in rotors you won't want to go back (more power, better modulation, less heat)
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

squish is good
    I will also point out that BB7's configured properly are damned strong compared to many hydro brakes. Stroker Trails are not the strongest hydro brake I've used either. Bigger rotors will help with that though.
    Bike good, work bad.