mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Hayes Stroker Rydes - Warning

Hello,

This is a bit of a public service announcement here, perhaps others have posted it before...

I wanted to let people know to be aware of a serious design flaw on Hayes Stroker Ryde brakes. They might have other models this applies to as well. When I attempted to brake today during a ride the lever came apart in my hands. Upon inspection, the lever is held on by a cheap plastic dowel and the thinnest most pathetic retaining ring I've ever seen. The retaining rings come off very easily and when they do, the plastic dowel falls out and you'll be left with no brakes. Upon searching the reviews here at MTBR, it's evident I'm not the only one this has happened to. My brakes only had a few rides on them when this occured.

I felt obligated to post this here to alert people to this situation who might not have otherwise known about this terrible design flaw. If you have these brakes please check to make sure none of the small retaining rings have popped off and that the plastic dowels are not breaking apart or thinning. The retaining rings are so small you will have to make a concious effort to check that they are there once you even know about them.

Edit: Make sure to check both the top and bottom ring are in place, there are 2 on each brake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You're talking out of ya rear. You said it yourself that you read the reviews and found that you're the only one its happened to, it's not a widespread issue, you just got unlucky. Furthermore, I've used a set of Ryde's for 4 yrs without issues. As far as I'm concerned, there is no alert, or warning for that matter.
    Last edited by SV11; 04-08-2011 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Actually no, I said "it's evident I'm not the only one this has happened to." Infact, here's someone else right here:

Originally posted by CaveGiant:

"Terrible brakes, hard to modulate, very grabby and with the WORST design flaw I have seen.

The bolt that holds the lever onto the brake is cheap and unreliable.

I was warned that they had this problem at the rental shop.
    They said they had a few that failed and they just stuck a normal bolt through.

Halfway through the ride I broke HARD. SNAP lever falls off!!! the bar had snapped and fallen out on the rear brake, the front brake had snapped and was in place!!!
    I almost lost both brakes in one use!!!"
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-...1_1507crx.aspx

Leave me alone dude. I just wanted to give people an honest heads up about what can happen. I don't give a darn over who does or doesn't like these brakes.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rider
    Leave me alone dude. I just wanted to give people an honest heads up about what can happen. I don't give a darn over who does or doesn't like these brakes.
    people can be brutal here..... don't be thin skinned
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo