mtbr member
    May 2013

Hayes Stroker Ryde overhauling tips

I recently got a 2008 Kona Cinder Cone with the stock Hayes Stroker Ryde disc brakes. The performance is a bit average but since it's my first disc brake bike, I don't have a lot of reference but I believe it need a overhaul to get the original performance.

I noticed the rear caliper piston was struck on one side (forgot which one) and managed to pop it out by blocking the working pisston and pressing the lever a few times. The piston side seems to be scratched so this tell me I need to rebuild them. I ordered 2 Stroker Ryde caliper rebuild kits and a Epic bleeding kit.

I'm writing to ask what I need to do more to get those brakes back like new beside caliper rebuilding. Do I need to change the hoses (dunno if it's possible to have some crud in those hoses from all the years) ? What about disassembling the levers and cleaning without ordering the master cylinder rebuild kit since my levers looks to be ok ? Any other rebuilding tips ?

If I have the money, I'd buy a new brake set but not for now so rebuilding is my only option currently.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Anybody ?

mtbr member
    I also have Stroker Rydes and thought about rebuilding at one stage. I think you would have been better off not buying the rebuild kits, saving a bit more money and replacing the with a set of Shimano SLX brakes. Sorry I'm not muich help with the actual rebuilding.