All Mountainer
    Dec 2008

Hayes Stroker Ryde or Deore LX?

Hi guys

I currently have Stroker Ryde's on my bike and i have nothing wrong with them, they stop great but they squeak, i fixed the squeak but i think its coming back. But i am wanting Dual Control levers and on CRC they have a set or Deore LX for front and rear cheap and was thinking of getting some.

Question is should i stick with what i have now or get some LX's??

Cheers, Jason

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I like my dual control XT (new one and a generation ago). The last gen worked flawlessly for 4 years with 2 bleeds with no special tools. The only thing that bugged me a bit was the fact that hydro brake reservoir was horizontally longish, it interfered with the raiser bar neck angle, that I had to settle with the lever angle a bit flatter than I liked. Not a big deal, but it bugged me a bit. Then the current gen fixed that problem by angling the hose down. Nice touch. They shift with an ease – sometimes almost too easy, that a light click shifts the gear. It takes some practice to tune in on shifting/braking motions, and some people just don't like this ambiguity in the motion. I had zero mechanical problem, XTR metallic pad (XT is interchangeable with XTR pads) squeaked so I changed the pad to organic. It won’t last as long but the pads are consumables. Good power and modulation, dialing in the reach are as easy as others. The current gen levers are also tuned more toward middle finger braking (while you grip the handle bar with your thumbs and index fingers) and that takes some time to get used to. So as long as you are ok with some relearning, I would think you will enjoy the conversion. Good luck.