mtbr member

Hayes Stroker Questions, options??

Ok So i wanna change my current Hayes HFX9 brakes for a newer set, I was stuck between the Elixir r's, Stroker Trails and SLX's. Stroker Trails seem the best ones for the price, which is a deciding factor (Around 300 bucks). Now my questions, having Hayes nines currently installed, will my adapters work?? cause apparently not included. Also, how will the stopping power compare to my current set?? Are they truly the nicest set for the price??

Appreciate any help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Stroker Trails were going for $70 new a while back. They were a great brake for that price but I've used Elixir 5's and Stroker Trails and I prefer the Elixers. The Strokers had good power but my Elixers have a little more. Your current adapters should work for either.

You can still get the Trails for $84.
    Stroker Trails at Treefort Bikes

Low Rep Count
    I have Stroker Carbons and they work great. Not sure what you mean by adapters though. Are you referring to the caliper adapters? That will depend on whether the calipers are post mount (more than likely are) and what adapters you have.

The issue I am finding with the Strokers is that they don't self align. I have gone through the brake set up procedure damn near every day and have it down like the back of my hand. To the point that I am pulling the caliper off the bike about every 2-3 rides and placing the pad spacer back in it to move the pads back out to allow for a centered set up.

The other part of the problems is that I squeeze the lever to engage the pads and thus center the caliper on the rotor. I then tighten the bolts and find that the caliper has moved as the bolts were tighening, then the pads rub on one side. I have now been eyeballing it when centering them which seems to be working better. I will admit that it is becoming more of a PITA than anything. Unfortunately, I am out of funds so I have no choice but to make them work at this point.

If I was going to do it again, I would probably just go with the Avid's. I was looking at the CR's originally and should have just going ahead with that. I don't know if they have a self centering feature though. IMO, that would be one of the number one things I will be looking for in my next set up.

mtbr member
    So is this true?? Elixirs have more stopping power than the Strokers?

Low Rep Count
    That very well may be the case. I have only test ridden Elixer CR's in a parking lot so I really can't say. Also, the power on mine could be down a little bit as I am running a pretty light rotor with less surface area to it.

I do like the feel of the Elixer levers though which is why they were in my top 3.

Formula R1 (totally differen ball game here with these and way expensive compared to the others)
    Magura Marta SL's
    Elixer CR
    STroker Ace (went with carbons for the price over the weight savings)