mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Hayes Stroker No power

So i just picked up a giant reign x2(2008) so used and it has hayes stroker ryde brakes on it, the back work great, but the front have no power what so ever and just squeak really bad when i pull the lever.

Any ideas on what to do, I did a little lite sanding nothing major on the pads but did not seem to really help.

thanks louis

ride hard take risks
    Does the piston return to full stroke or is their allot of freeplay??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    When i pull the lever, the left side(if i was looking down) or the out side pad moves a good amount and the right side pad does not move all that much. But seems to move freely

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by lousieg55
    When i pull the lever, the left side(if i was looking down) or the out side pad moves a good amount and the right side pad does not move all that much. But seems to move freely
    Sorry I was vague on the question I meant to ask if the master cylinder piston gets stuck and the lever gets freeplay after pulling the lever in.

Sounds like you have a lazy piston which is not uncommon but thats not your full problem.
    Formotion Products

ouch....
    If it's used, you really don't know what has happened to the brakes..
    I'd clean the rotor, put a fresh set of pads in, and bleed the system to be on the safe side.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    If it's used, you really don't know what has happened to the brakes..
    I'd clean the rotor, put a fresh set of pads in, and bleed the system to be on the safe side.
    True, Ill fool with them a little, there are 180mm so if i can figure it out, Ill swap the 180 rotor to the rear and get a new 200mm for the front with new everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Okay, Fixed it, I went to the bike store and picked up some replacement pads, wet sanded my rotor with 220 grit and it works like they are brand new. Only bad part was i took the caliper off instead of just taking the wheel off so when putting it back on i striped the treads from tighting to much because its aluminum so i had to go down to the hardware store and get a helicoil kit 45 bucks and fix it.

But all in all 65 bucks later brakes work like brand new and now more noise. Thanks for all the help

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by lousieg55
    Okay, Fixed it, I went to the bike store and picked up some replacement pads, wet sanded my rotor with 220 grit and it works like they are brand new. Only bad part was i took the caliper off instead of just taking the wheel off so when putting it back on i striped the treads from tighting to much because its aluminum so i had to go down to the hardware store and get a helicoil kit 45 bucks and fix it.

But all in all 65 bucks later brakes work like brand new and now more noise. Thanks for all the help
    Shaweet great job.
    Formotion Products