mtbr member
    Nov 2006

hayes stroker lever replacement

so i have had the hayes stroker trail brakes for a year now and love them. great stopping, no loss in power, look great. But i have one problem, after a month of heavy riding the little ball that stops the lever adjuster from moving on its own fell out.

I have been riding it like this for a while, while i ride the lever will continue to work its way in and rub on my knuckles. well im finally fed up with this and goign to buy a new lever. has anyone replaced on of these levers. if so is it easy and how did it turn out

Calm Like a Bomb
    i would email them and tell them what happened...they were great to deal with when i asked for help....they sent me a new lever blade no charge....worth a shot
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    I just replaced a lever on my Carbons. Crashed and burned, lever got bent, cracked the carbon fiber. Bent it back and rode for the rest of the day okay but eventually I replaced the blade w/ another carbon.

Super easy to replace. There's a small allen set screw that holds the pin in place. Pop that pin out and dial the adjuster all the way off the threads. The lever will come apart.

Be careful w/ the new lever, it comes w/ the dial adjuster already in place but curiosity got me to take the adjuster out to see what the detent looked like (small ball bearing w/ a spring). luckily I JUST vacuumed the living room so I was able to find the spring and ball bearing when they both came flying out but that sucker is small!!! Like no joke, it's about the size of the period at the end of this sentence [SIZE="6"].[/SIZE]

BTW, are you sure the ball bearing came out of your old lever? could be just gummed up and the spring not providing enough tension to seat the ball in the detent.That adjuster is quite exposed and the spring and ball are super small. One grain of dirt could clog it up quite easily.
    Last edited by FlippinSweet; 09-24-2008 at 11:07 AM.