mtbr member

Hayes Stroker Installation Issue: Rear

So, I am trying to install my new set of Strokers on the back of my Superfly.

I had 160mm Avids on last year, and I am replacing them with 1400mm Hayes w/ Ashima rotors.

I have an Avid 160F/140R IS/post adapter I am trying to use, and I am running into 2 issues.

1) The Hayes caliper does not fit on the adapter. I think this can be corrected by either getting some cone washers under the caliper, or getting a Hayes adapter. I assume for the latter, a 160F would work again?

2) Even when the caliper is not tightened down on the bracket, there is heavy rubbing between the disc and the inboard pad. I had no adjustment room left to move the caliper further in (towards the wheel). Is this something that will be corrected by fixing #1, or is there another issue? Do I need to space the rotor out or something? I had no issue with the alignment of the Avids last year.

Any help would be appreciated, as I would like to get out and ride tomorrow.

Rub it............
    Try this.

http://tinyurl.com/3bnb297

Get the correct bracket first before dealing with any other current issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Try this.

http://tinyurl.com/3bnb297

Get the correct bracket first before dealing with any other current issues.

Thanks for the info, I didn't even think of trying to use the internet!

The issue I am having is that many people say that Avid adapters work just fine with Hayes calipers, and others say they won't work.

I have not come across the issue that I am having, which is why I was asking here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Most of the issues you''ll run across with mismatched caliper/bracket combo's is interference between either the pad tabs or the bulge of the caliper against the bracket. Otherwise, provided the adapter size matches the rotor size and is oriented correctly, there shouldn't be any fitment issues.

For you q#2, if its IS mount bracket you can throw a washer between the caliper bracket and frame, should give you the room to center the caliper.

mtbr member
    One shop had a 160F bracket that is not Avid, but I am not sure if it is a Hayes. Gonna try it when I get home. Only marking on it was a 160F and an Arrow. It looks different than the Avid I have at home.

The interference is with the caliper "bulge".

I tried both possible orientations just to make sure (In case the arrow was supposed to point differently on the rear.)

I also have a selection of washers I will use to align, in the event I need to order a Hayes bracket next week.

mtbr member
    I ordered the suggested bracket from the Hayes tech, and I am still not liking it.

First, it still seems a bit high, that the pads don't seat all the way on the rotor, but rather clamps on 2/3-3/4 of the braking surface.

Second, the alignment on the rear still needs to be shimmed out with a washer to get enough adjustment to not rub.

I bled them twice, and the lever feel is better, but they still don't feel like a lot of braking power. I am hoping more break-in will help.

Kinda wishing now I didn't sell my Avids, but the warble was killing me. I guess it is time to save of for some Formulas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have dealt with the same issue on inboard pad interference. usually takes 4 to 5 rotor shims to correct.