North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

Hayes Stroker disc brakes initial impressions

Just had a ride on some Hayes Strokers. Initial impressions before I forget:

- brake levers look pinner. Looks like a great way to break a brake. Alarming given how much Hayes spare parts cost. Didn't tighten the levers too much so they can swivel on the bars
    - white is right
    - easy to set up. Split brake clamp and typical post-mount means that they go on the bike quickly
    - needs a few hard stops to set the pads and get them working
    - doesn't feel as powerful as say a Magura Gustav or even the Magura Louise freeride. Has as much power as the Avid Juicy 5. Has more power then a Hayes Mag and much more power then a HFX9.
    - the adjustment dial that adjusts reach of the brake lever actually works.
    - little bit of lever pump on a ride down TNT, DD, Neds. Not significant but noticeable. Definitely not as much of a POS as the rightfully maligned Hayes El-camino

Will need a bit more time to comment on-

"Modulation"
    Toughness
    Brake fade or its absence

Review with more comments to follow after a few more rides
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

ride hard take risks
    Only 1 real ride on mine. The Stroker is replacing Juicy 7.

Stroker's feel like Hayes with very nice modulation, excellent feed back. I like to have control over the brakes which is what Hayes offers. You can do a light jab for scrub, dig in the front end for stoppies & if you need to dig a trench lock it up. I was riding with a friend on some local DH type trails & she was having a hard time. I noticed she was skidding & loosing the front end, riding J5's. I dropped my seat all the way down & traded bikes with her. She was clearing everything that she had problems with in the past because there was control over the brakes. Riding with Strokers means you can get back to riding & not worry about brake pressure. What I didnt like about the Juicy 7's was they were to powerful & would lock if not careful.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Here's my review of the Hayes Strokers as written up in NSMB

http://nsmb.com/gear/gear_shots36_11_07.php

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I want my click back!

squish is good
    I've only got two rides on mine and so far it's tough to have an opinion. I've mostly been riding them on a very rolly trail with lots of stunts so I wasn't able to get up alot of speed. I did notice on the second ride my rear brake has started to screech like a banshee on crack. I'm not sure if the rotor got some crap on it or what the deal is, I need to hit them with some rubbing alcohol and check all the bolts to make sure nothings loose. Hopefully this weekend I can get some dedicated downhills in on them and really see how they feel. I love the lever position and the adjustability though!

I've used Hayes 9's for the last two years and never had a complaint about their performance, maybe because I've never used another Hydro. I decided to go with the Strokers because they came with a package of parts for really cheap and I'm hoping they work as well as all the reviews I've read.

ride hard take risks
    The stock Stoker Trail pads suck, they are not horrible but will heat up. Hayes says they are coming out with a Semi Metallic pad in Jan which should make a huge difference in braking.
    For me Hayes has always had great feel but could us a little more power. Strokers have excellent feel better than the Mags & much more control over the brake effect & power. Brakes like the J7's have way too much power for me, I have been spoiled by Moto brakes & expect the same feel, Strokers come dang close. Now if only they could be bleed like regular brakes that would be the icing on the Cake.
    Formotion Products

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I still have to get a bleed kit, change the pads and do a bleed. I hope to take the brakes apart too as the cylinders are apparently rebuildable.

Hopefully the writeup didn't come across as too negative as I am actually very pleasantly surprised by the brakes.

I do agree they don't have the raw endo-causing power of the Juicy 5/7s - when i wrote my initial review I thought that the Strokers were comparable to Juicy 5s/7s. I've since changed my mind

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    I still have to get a bleed kit, change the pads and do a bleed. I hope to take the brakes apart too as the cylinders are apparently rebuildable.

Hopefully the writeup didn't come across as too negative as I am actually very pleasantly surprised by the brakes.

I do agree they don't have the raw endo-causing power of the Juicy 5/7s - when i wrote my initial review I thought that the Strokers were comparable to Juicy 5s/7s. I've since changed my mind
    We just have different needs/wants from our brakes. This is why there are options in life. Your personal opinion is more important than a bunch of BS.
    Formotion Products

squish is good
    Do you have to take the caliper apart to remove the pads? I noticed they are a two piece design instead of a one piece like the 9's and don't have the tabs for grabbing the pads. I might need to look into getting the new pads considering the racket these things are making.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Do you have to take the caliper apart to remove the pads? I noticed they are a two piece design instead of a one piece like the 9's and don't have the tabs for grabbing the pads. I might need to look into getting the new pads considering the racket these things are making.
    From what I can tell they are A typical Hayes pad install/removal. They make noise from 2 reasons.

1 Caliper alignment.

2 Dragging the brake/overheating.
    Formotion Products

squish is good
    Well that doesn't help my screechy situation. I've readjusted the alignment using the loosen bolts, grab brake, tighten bolts, spins smooth technique. So, alignment isn't an issue unless the pistons twist the pads which is mechanically impossible if I'm thinking right. They don't drag at all and there hasn't been enough downhill to overheat, besides I'm running 203mm front 185mm rear which makes it unlikely in my mind that they will overheat on most of my 3-4 mile downhill chutes I run. I'm still leaning towards contaminated pads which is why I'm wondering how to swap them. My hitch rack hangs the rear wheel out just enough to get sprayed by my rear wheels on my Xterra so I'm wondering if they got a dose of some weird chemical on the road. I've never had a brake squeal so bad and I don't think it's indicative of these brakes. They work well, just noisy so far!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Well that doesn't help my screechy situation. I've readjusted the alignment using the loosen bolts, grab brake, tighten bolts, spins smooth technique. So, alignment isn't an issue unless the pistons twist the pads which is mechanically impossible if I'm thinking right. They don't drag at all and there hasn't been enough downhill to overheat, besides I'm running 203mm front 185mm rear which makes it unlikely in my mind that they will overheat on most of my 3-4 mile downhill chutes I run. I'm still leaning towards contaminated pads which is why I'm wondering how to swap them. My hitch rack hangs the rear wheel out just enough to get sprayed by my rear wheels on my Xterra so I'm wondering if they got a dose of some weird chemical on the road. I've never had a brake squeal so bad and I don't think it's indicative of these brakes. They work well, just noisy so far!
    Im using 203 front & 185 rear also & when riding with slower riders the brakes go through allot they will heat up & make a gringing type noise & squeal more. I believe this to be the metallic pads, they just are not very good. Hayes does make the semi metallic pads for the lower end model Stroker but they are different so they are not interchangable. Hayes claims they will be coming out with the semi metallic for the Trail in Jan. I think this will solve your noisey brakes problem.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    i apologize for recycling an old thread but i want to know if the reach adjustment for the stroker (trail) can actually get the lever closer to the bar for my smaller hands. with the hayes hfx9's, the reach adjustment didn't really move the lever as close to the bar as i wanted. the new shimano xt's and xtr's did so i'm hoping that the strokers get the lever as close to the bar as the shimanos...
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    i apologize for recycling an old thread but i want to know if the reach adjustment for the stroker (trail) can actually get the lever closer to the bar for my smaller hands. with the hayes hfx9's, the reach adjustment didn't really move the lever as close to the bar as i wanted. the new shimano xt's and xtr's did so i'm hoping that the strokers get the lever as close to the bar as the shimanos...
    thanks!
    I just dialed in a Stroker Trail lever as far as I could take it without risk of bottoming it out against the grip under heavy braking. It measured exactly 3cm between lever and grip.
    Denny Yunk
    Mktg. Supervisor, Hayes Bicycle Group
    Tech support: hayestech@hayesbicycle.com | 888.686.3472

mtbr member
    I had a question regarding the lever reach adjustment, because I have to have mine dialed way out so they don't bottom out (and I just had them bled by a hayes dealer). When they're bled do the levers need to be dialed all the way out or in or does that not affect the amount of brake fluid in the master cylinder?

Broken and dizzy
    Hey Racerveza, any info on when the Sponsorhouse shop's going to be updated to include the Stroker line up?

BTW - I'm digging the new Stroker line. Good upgrade for sure!

Last edited by Surfinguru; 12-05-2007 at 03:53 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by natrab
    I had a question regarding the lever reach adjustment, because I have to have mine dialed way out so they don't bottom out (and I just had them bled by a hayes dealer). When they're bled do the levers need to be dialed all the way out or in or does that not affect the amount of brake fluid in the master cylinder?
    The lever adjustment should'nt have anything to do with the fluid pressure. You should take the bike back to the shop & show them what is going wrong so they can fix it for you, possibly needs a better bleed.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    We're still processing applications and renewals for the '08 season. Once these are complete (no later than 12/31/07), we'll send out notifications. Products will be available in our Sponsorhouse store on 1/1/08 and will be shipped in Feb/March, depending on availability.

A more comprehensive letter went out today via Sponsorhouse, so check your email!
    Denny Yunk
    Mktg. Supervisor, Hayes Bicycle Group
    Tech support: hayestech@hayesbicycle.com | 888.686.3472

Broken and dizzy
    I received the email earlier this AM. Thanks for the update Denny.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Sorry to resurrect this. Dogonfr or anyone else. Have you tried the new Hayes pads with the brakes? Do they increase power dramatically? The stock pads are decent for descents but over the course of 4 very intense downhill runs they were a bit lacking. I just want to know beforehand if its worth the effort to get the new semi-metallic pads.

EDIT _ i searched poorly - here's dogonfr's impressions - Hayes Stroker Trail Semi Metallic Pads

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    Sorry to resurrect this. Dogonfr or anyone else. Have you tried the new Hayes pads with the brakes? Do they increase power dramatically? The stock pads are decent for descents but over the course of 4 very intense downhill runs they were a bit lacking. I just want to know beforehand if its worth the effort to get the new semi-metallic pads.
    The Semi Metallics are much better for descending, they are a little sticky when cold but once they get warmed or hot they maintain power & control. They also have better bite then the stockerz so you will have to re-learn the brake feel, less lever pressure more power.
    Formotion Products