Chewbacca on a Bike!

Hayes Stroker Carbon Good, Bad or Ugly does anyone have experience?

I'm looking at purchasing a set of Hayes Stroker Carbon Brakes for my Trek Marlin SS and I was looking for feedback on them. I have already read all the reviews, I just wanted to know about any issues or successes. This will be my first set of Hydro's and I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have them and all I can say I ride very hard on my XC bike and these work great I don't baby these at all and they held up great and have had no issues, my dad also has them and his also are pretty good. Pad install is super easy and has a lot of pad for maximum stopping power. Buy them

mtbr member
    I've had them on my first MTB a year and a half ago.
    Since it was my first bike there was no comparison I could do. Shortly after that bike I've got myself another 3 bikes ( yes,the passion picked up pretty fast) that came with Formula R1,Formula Rx and Avid Elixir.
    Ok then,the Hayes Stroker carbon compared to the latter were pretty lame. They provided a very nervous brake action,very difficult to control,really did not like the feeling.
    I also have 2 postive notes tho : their pads lasted forever under the most severe abuse and replacing them by myself has been a breeze.

For the money I would look elsewhere anyway
    Last edited by Devastazione; 05-06-2011 at 09:04 AM.
    '14 Epic Marathon 29 for sale
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a set that has been a lot of trouble. They are powerful and ergonomic, but the caliper on the rear brake doesn't retract all the way most of the time, leading to squealing and rubbing. Going through the setup helps for a ride or two, but then they flake out again. I'm considering tossing them and switching to BB7s.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan
    I have a set that has been a lot of trouble. They are powerful and ergonomic, but the caliper on the rear brake doesn't retract all the way most of the time, leading to squealing and rubbing. Going through the setup helps for a ride or two, but then they flake out again. I'm considering tossing them and switching to BB7s.
    Have you thought about taking then to a shop or sending them in to correct the issue? For the sets I have run across they work great

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had my LBS work on them twice; each time the problems went away for a while and then returned.

It had not occurred to me to contact Hayes, since I've had them for 9-12 months. Since you mentioned it, however, I did contact them and they replaced the brake assembly in under a week. Great customer service. Hopefully the problems will be gone for good now...

Low Rep Count
    I had a set and actually liked them more than the XT's I had. However, my problem was getting them set up. I went back and forth with tech support at Hayes and that helped quite a bit. Basically, my problem is that after a ride or two, one or the other pads would be rubbing. I tried sandwhiching a business card on each side of the rotor when setting them up and that really helped but regardless of how much I tired, when tightening down the caliper bolts, the rotor would inevitably shift towards the wheel as the bolt was tightened. I just couldn't get it right and I spent about every other ride resetting them. Back on my old and trusty BB7's at this point. Eventually, I will get some R1's but that's lots of money I just don't have right now. So far, not a single problem with my BB7's.