Tribe member

Hayes stroker bleeding

So i'm getting quite frustrated with trying to bleed these brakes. I've watched several videos and I'm doing exactly as they are doing. But I can not for the life of me get the fluid to cycle up to the upper syringe/excess fluid catch. I've tried to squeeze and slowly loosen the bleed port more to see if it's an issue with getting that hole on the screw in just the right place but so far no luck. Any suggestions or bits of advice to help me out? Thanks much!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't know. I know they say to only crank the port at the caliper 1/4 turn, but on my old mags, I had to turn them 1.5 turns before it would open up and allow the fluid to enter.

I am going to assume you have the bleed port screw completely out of the master cylinder. If so, just keep unscrewing the port at the caliper until you can push fluid in. I know if you open it too far, you could get air in the system, but hey...you're trying to bleed it anyways. You'll just purge that air anyways.

I've got a set of Stroker Aces that need the lines to be shortened and given a good bleed. I'll report back in a few days and let you know if I'm having the same problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you're having a problem with getting fluid to enter the system, work smarter not harder. If fluid can't enter through the system, ck the caliper bleeder screw. Remove it and see if fluid can be pushed through it. If not, bingo, there be your issue. Ck the bleeder to see if there's anything clogging it. A single strand off a derailer cable cn help clear out any dirt that might have gotten clogged up in there.
    You are not what you own.

Tribe member
    Quote Originally Posted by project_d View Post
    report back in a few days and let you know if I'm having the same problem.
    I look forward to hearing back on this.

Quote Originally Posted by juancancook View Post
    If you're having a problem with getting fluid to enter the system, work smarter not harder. If fluid can't enter through the system, ck the caliper bleeder screw. Remove it and see if fluid can be pushed through it. If not, bingo, there be your issue. Ck the bleeder to see if there's anything clogging it. A single strand off a derailer cable cn help clear out any dirt that might have gotten clogged up in there.
    I thought of that and gave it a shot and fluid shot right out (and across the garage) so that didn't seem to be an issue.

A little information as an update, I was able to finally get it to go through the front brake. I just kept a little bit of pressure on the syringe on the caliper and slowly loosened the bleed screw until fluid actually went through the system. I plan on doing the same thing with the rear, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Good to hear that. I bled my Aces last night, and it is typical Hayes. The bleeding process is easy, but you have to do it like 3 or 4 times because little air bubbles like to hide out in places, and they only show themselves after you close up the system and pull back the lever. Even if you pull back the lever while bleeding, there is usually some air that stays in the master cylinder. I wish they would fix this; I had the same issue with my Mags.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    hi, i have to bleed these brakes, i watched the video, and get everything except the end where he uses a 'feeler gauge'...

can i still fix my brakes without this?

what are they for, it looked like a sheered off bit of rotor, why can't i use the real rotor to squeeze the brake lever onto when the wheel is fitted?

thanks.