Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Hayes Stroker or BB7's?

I have both of these brakes but need to sell one for other parts.

Which one would you keep for your bike and why? I know that the Stroker is hydraulic and the BB7s are mechanical but not sure which one to keep.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LowOnO2 View Post
    I have both of these brakes but need to sell one for other parts.

Which one would you keep for your bike and why? I know that the Stroker is hydraulic and the BB7s are mechanical but not sure which one to keep.
    Any hydraulic brake is better than best mechanical brake.

I do what I want

^^^ most retarded reply ever ^^^

Personally, I would keep the BB7.

Ive had terrible luck with Hayes in the past and will never own another pair or 4 ever again. Every pair I had, the pistons would stick within months of use. My BB7's never had any issues. My fav brakes of all though, Shimano, never had one issue with any of the several pairs Ive owned.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I will never touch hayes again.
    but never had a bb7

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by liranbachar View Post
    i will never touch hayes again.
    qft

bb7!
    22 Going on 23

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i would off the bb7 unless u have stroker rydes.imo the rydes r not that great and may stick a piston where bb7 is consistant and dont often fail

mtbr member extraordinair
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Personally, I would keep the BB7.

Ive had terrible luck with Hayes in the past and will never own another pair or 4 ever again. Every pair I had, the pistons would stick within months of use. My BB7's never had any issues. My fav brakes of all though, Shimano, never had one issue with any of the several pairs Ive owned.

My experience exactly.
    I have both and used both. I dumped the strokers for the BB7s, but the shimano hydros are superior to both.

BB7s FTW.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member extraordinair
    Quote Originally Posted by vanamees View Post
    Stupidest statement ever.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Unquantifiable statement.

mtbr member
    I had good luck when I had the Hayes Stroker Carbons. They are not the easiest to bleed, but I think you will be fine with either one in the end.

I have not had the best of luck with Shimano Hydros.... The one pair I own has to go back to Shimano after 7 months of use, 5 or more of which they did not work properly.

-Brett

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Had both, kept the BB7s, dumped the Strokers.

> Any hydraulic brake is better than best mechanical brake.

This was stupid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've had great experiences with both the bb7s and the stroker trail. I've always used hayes brakes and they've treated me well.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    My strokers have been flawless. Id take them unconditionally over the BB7's (which I rode for a season). I never have to adjust them, fix them, or do anything with them, they just work every time.

The BB7's had more power, but the strokers have beyond more modulation. Incomparably better feel. If bb7's are the best cable brake, ill never run a cable brake on a mountain bike again.

Life Is Short
    On the General Discussion page people who were 100% for the Avid 7 gave me negative rep (what a bunch of losers) for my belief that some modulation on the Hayes is better than none which the BB7 does not physically have.

I've own 6 pairs of BB7's when they came out and yes they do stop better but they had horrible modulation.
    Also your fingers hurt after a 3 mile downhill. People who rave about the BB7's never did a cold, windy & rainy Washington State 8 mile downhill section at temps of 38 degrees. Go with hydraulics, you can pick up a used BB7 for $20 which I sold per caliper/rotor.
    Pictured is my beater Kona dirt jump with Hayes 9's and XC bike with Shimano Deore hydraulic

I have 2 sets of Stroker Trails on my Stinkys and the pistons never seized. I live in SoCal
    that may have something to do with it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hayes Stroker or BB7's?-p4pb4926639.jpg  

Hayes Stroker or BB7's?-p4pb6593900.jpg  

Hayes Stroker or BB7's?-p4pb5581547.jpg  

Ride More, Eat More

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I live in SoCal that may have something to do with it
    Yeah, that probably goes a long way to explaining your attitude

(Apologies to all you other southern Californians who aren't wankers)

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    Yeah, that probably goes a long way to explaining your attitude

(Apologies to all you other southern Californians who aren't wankers)

I too am from SoCal and agree with your comment, we def have a fair share of @sshats with sh!tty attitudes.

I'm also not sure what brake levers others are using, but I doubt they were SD7 levers. SD7 (or any lever with Speed dial) levers have Speed Dial leverage adjustment which helps a ton with modulation.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    I laugh at your ignorance

Huckin' trails
    Hey, any brake is better then no brake at all too

As far as I'm concerned, both of your brakes can give you good power and reliability, but you should consider how much you could sell each set, which is your main concern here.

BB7 have a good resale value, and there's a good market for them everywhere. Myself I'm looking for them right now.

Your Hayes could sell maybe a bit higher then the BB7, but you have to see how much interest there is for those right now. Why don't you put both set on sale for the max $$ you could hope get out of them and see which one goes the best and pays more.

I can't decide for you, since I don't know the conditions of the brake sets, so I'm only giving out suggestions.

And to those who think BB7 are not as good as hydro, obviously you had a wrong set-up and even bad housing/cable or not using good levers or the SD 7 levers.

I have straight rotors, full (stiff) housing and good cables, using SD 7 levers and a BB7 front and MX2 rear and I have ZERO friction in the system. Only resistance comes from the levers return spring and the return springs of the calipers actuation arms. I'm happy with it, no noise or power fade and that's all what matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've had BB7s on my bike and only recently upgraded to Magura Marta SL Hydros because they were offered to me at a price I couldn't refuse. BB7 vs Hydro, sure- lever effort is a lot less with the hydros, and modulation is *easier* but it doesn't mean that it was non-existent with the BB7. I could modulate my BB7 brakes just as well as the other guys with their hydro brakes, and I wasn't even running SD levers(I had XT DCL levers)- it all boils down to rider technique.

A lot of people who install BB7s have been spoiled by installing hydros and don't take the extra care necessary with the cable routing. Make sure you have no sharp bends in your routing and you'll be surprised how smooth and easy it is to use the BB7s. The first thing people who have been weaned on hydros say when they get over the initial shock of seeing mech brakes on my bike would be "wow, they feel just like hydros".

I'm not going to say that BB7s are just as good or better than high end hydros. For most users, it still is easier to learn proper modulation with a good set of hydros, but its not impossible with the BB7s. Not all bikes have the proper cable routing that allow drag-free routing for mech brakes. Most frame manufacturers assume that hydro brakes will be installed on their frames so they don't bother with keeping the cable routing "mech brake friendly".

Bottom line fore the OP, if you've managed to master proper modulation with your BB7s and if you've gotten a mech brake friendly frame design- then stick with it. But if you find that you have problems with either- then keep the hydros instead.

mtbr member
    Thats the other great thing about hydros. You dont have to worry about your cables, housings, routing, or if your pads are adjusted right that day. They just work consistently. You can play with housing, lever, and technique combos until you get the bb7's right, or just toss on a hydro and go ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well thats one way to look at it. But personally, I'd rather spend the night changing cables and housings of my BB7s than bleeding my Martas.

I do know what you mean though. For probably the vast majority of the riding public who don't work on their own bikes, having a set hydros that are properly setup from day-1 does have it's advantages.

I <3 dirt
    I'd sell both and buy a set of slx or xt brakes.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

LightJunction.com
    The Strokers have better stopping power (in my opinion), and the BB7s pretty much have adjustability beyond comparison. I'd go with the Strokers.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

I <3 dirt
    Oh if I had to choose I'd pick the strokers. Cable brakes feel like poop.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Oh if I had to choose I'd pick the strokers. Cable brakes feel like poop.
    Glad you know how poop feels like
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast