mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hayes Stroker advice ...

I have a set of Hayes Stroker Trails on my bike, which I like well enough, but I've run into a bit of an issue. Over the spring I needed to bleed them, since it was obvious a bit of air had made it into them. I also shortened the cables while I was at it. The process was smooth enough and the pistons adjusted themselves fine. The issue I'm having now is that the rear brake will be perfect as I start my ride, but once I use the brakes for a few downhills, the system seems to lose pressure, or something. After a bit, the lever more or less sinks to the handlebars before the pads contact the rotor. If I stop and tilt the bike back I can pump them up again, but after a bit the problem re-occurs. I've checked for a leak and don't see anything.

Obviously I'd rather not bleed again. Does anyone have experience with something like this or have a suggestion of something I screwed up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Hayes Stroker advice ...

Bleed again. That's the solution

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kirklanddownhill View Post
    Bleed again. That's the solution
    this.

Huffy Rider
    Bleed it again, take your time, do every step the right way.

mtbr member
    Bleed, bleed, and bleed again. If problem persists, I'd recommend pulling the master cylinder piston and checking the seals. I contacted Hayes CS way back and they were kind enough to send me two new pistons free of charge. Did the swap to eliminate a symptom similar to yours, and now my Stroker stops me when called upon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgriffen_1 View Post
    Bleed, bleed, and bleed again. If problem persists, I'd recommend pulling the master cylinder piston and checking the seal.
    Sadly, it does seem to be a master cylinder issue. The brakes are pretty old, so I guess it's not too much to deal with once in a great while. On the plus side, Hayes has great CS. Thanks for the replies!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeDrinkable View Post
    Sadly, it does seem to be a master cylinder issue. The brakes are pretty old, so I guess it's not too much to deal with once in a great while. On the plus side, Hayes has great CS. Thanks for the replies!
    On the plus side for sure, a new master cylinder is pretty easy to swap in because you don't even need to pull apart the lever body reservoir. If you're doing this yourself, remember to get as much brake fluid as possible below the piston when inserting it, as any bubbles make your bleed that much more difficult.

Let us know how it turns out!