Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hayes Stroker advice ...

959 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  blackgriffen_1 
#1 ·
I have a set of Hayes Stroker Trails on my bike, which I like well enough, but I've run into a bit of an issue. Over the spring I needed to bleed them, since it was obvious a bit of air had made it into them. I also shortened the cables while I was at it. The process was smooth enough and the pistons adjusted themselves fine. The issue I'm having now is that the rear brake will be perfect as I start my ride, but once I use the brakes for a few downhills, the system seems to lose pressure, or something. After a bit, the lever more or less sinks to the handlebars before the pads contact the rotor. If I stop and tilt the bike back I can pump them up again, but after a bit the problem re-occurs. I've checked for a leak and don't see anything.

Obviously I'd rather not bleed again. Does anyone have experience with something like this or have a suggestion of something I screwed up?

#5 ·
Bleed, bleed, and bleed again. If problem persists, I'd recommend pulling the master cylinder piston and checking the seals. I contacted Hayes CS way back and they were kind enough to send me two new pistons free of charge. Did the swap to eliminate a symptom similar to yours, and now my Stroker stops me when called upon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.