mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Hayes Stroker Ace Owners, Whadda Think?

the '09's can be had for some good prices, but it seems not many people run them. Just trying to get an idea of what people think of them. I am thinking of upgrading my stroker trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm wondering too.

I would like some hydro brakes and wonder if the price on these is worth it over the Stroker Trails.

I like rocks
    Nov 2007
    I've been running them on my bigger bike since the first of the year, and moved the Stroker Trails they replaced over to my hardtail.

The Aces certainly have more power, but are a little more finicky during setup due to the extra pistons. However, once set they stay that way.I also find the somewhat beefier lever slightly more comfortable - and I've always like the Trails just fine in that respect.

In addition, the forged monobloc and the red piston covers are very high quality and look great. So in my book it was a very worthy upgrade, especially at the price the 2009s can be had at.
    If you go looking for trouble, you can be sure it's gaining from behind.

~~~~~~~~
    I'm very happy with the set I started using recently. I haven't done huge bike park vertical on them yet but I'm confident they would do great. I have made several long demanding dh runs on them and they've been awesome. Got back on my old saints the other day and they felt sketch. The aces are my first 4 pots also.

I got frustrated with my initial bleed of the rear, quick call to hayes and they instructed me to point the lever tip straight up during the bleed and that did the trick.

The pads are massive, and surprisingly the same price as the smaller ones.

trail "cleaner"

they have been great for me...

I've got them on my big bike (Canfield Can Diggle) and they have been flawless with loads of braking power with good modulation and no squeals. I've got the Stroker Trails on all of my other bikes for comparison, the Ace's are more powerful and never seem to fade on long DH's. for the price I paid for them at Price Point... its all
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well I went ahead and got some of the 09's (Stroker Ace's) for my bike. Just for the front brake. My main motivation was to increase the modulation of my front brake. My Avid BB7's had plenty of power, but it seemed like they lever only did 2 things - not slow the bike down or bring it to a complete stop. I was not able to creep down techy steep downhills by using the front brake modulation, as I was used to doing on my KTM dirtbike (I am just getting back into moutain biking after a 12 year layoff where I rode a lot of dirtbikes, motocross, enduro's, harescrambles, etc).

I didn't want to spend the extra 20 bucks for the 8" rotor adaptor, so I just left the existing 6" rotor I have on the bike and bolted these on in place of my Avid BB7s.

First impressions, on installation were:

Extremely light. Lever setup is nice, awesome adjustability. Well thought out brakes - the have a really nice "viewport" so you can very quickly evaluate pad life left. They look/feel a bit "plasticy" where I was expected something more like bullit aluminum. There was LOTS of clearance between the pads and rotor, and subsequently there was absolutely NO rub or squeak at all.

Installation was really quick and painless. Maybe 10 minutes tops, including removal of old brakes (and grips etc).

Driveway impression was that modulation was greatly increased.

Took em out to the trail yesterday. The access road for the trails is a very loose gravel fireroad. It starts with a very long climb (figures, right?? ). Once I got to the top, I headed back down the other side of the hill to get the loop I wanted to ride. Remember this is very loose gravel - the sort of thing that made me extremely uncomfortable with my BB7's - lots of power and lightswitch modulation.

Riding with the Stroker Aces was like I had a totally different bike. Incredibly linear modulation, I played with it all the way down the hill. I had complete control over the speed of the bike and never came close to losing traction. The range of the lever seemed huge. It really settled the whole bike down - the transition of the fork into the stroke during braking, which had been a bit sudden and violent before, was now smooth as butter.

As I reached the loop I wanted to ride, I got to test the power for the first time. Absolutely effortless stop using front brakes only on the loose gravel. I loved it.

On the trail, I really liked the brakes. The lever has a long throw, and works great for me - I like to keep a finger on the lever at all times and that's exactly what this setup wants. I rode a couple of the black diamond trails for the first time (since the last time I was into mountain biking, 12 years ago). The brakes gave me a tremendous amount of confidence. Stopping in the deep chop at the end of long downhill runs was thoughtless. No effort required.

Super techy drop offs were a treat. I could use the brakes to stop the bike at the top of a section to evaluate my line. Then EASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE into the section by slowly letting off the front brake, in complete control. This was not possible with my on or off Avid BB7's. If I attacked these sections agressively, I would bomb into switchbacks at the bottom with lots of energy (speed and momentum) and the brakes did an awesome job of keeping me directly where I wanted to be. Stopping power was exactly what I need, exactly when I needed, exactly how much I needed, and it engaged incredibly smoooooooooooooooooooooth. I didn't even need to think about it, nor wonder if I could get stopped in time. It just happened!

I was hesitant to buy these brakes, even at the price of 120 bucks (which I perceived as a bargin). I payed 400 dollars for my 8 year old used bike that these went on. This was a major investment.

I am definately very happy I went with these. They really make the bike feel like a totally different bike. Not only did they meet my expectations, they totally exceeded them. I had no idea they would transform the feel of the bike they way they did.

I would strongly recommend the Stroker Aces!!
    Last edited by Garasaki; 05-07-2010 at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    thanks for the detailed review man..im thinking these would be the ticket

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yes thanks. I find it funny that all the "reviewers" seem so down on Hayes, but the people the own them seem to like them, and often at the same time the "reviews" of Hope are so great, but from the people the own them, not so much.

mtbr member
    Get them. I have Avid Codes on my Sunday that comes out on the weekends to play at Diablo and Platty. On my new Remedy 8 build, I decided to go with an 8" front and 7" rear. I bought the Aces for this bike. The power is there! The other day I came flying down the dirt/broken pavement at the end of a ride and passed my buddy's truck. Slammed the brakes and slowed me down like never before. I'm 250lbs. On the trail I feel that I can go flying down something and if I encounter a tight turn, I just lightly touch the brake, stand and sprint. I'm back up to speed very quickly. I'm very satisfied with them and would put them = to the codes. The stopping of both is incredible, so it's hard to say which is truly better. The Strokers are definitely lighter though. Ttyl, Fahn

ride hard take risks
    Added the Ace to the front of my 7" travel bike leaving the Stroker on the back. The Ace definitely has even more controlled power than the Stroker allowing one finger late braking which equals more speed. Bottom line it depends on your riding the Stroker is a great brake the Ace is true DH braking with confidence.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot