mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Hayes Stroker Ace or Avid Elixir R

I am currently running Hayes Stroker Rydes and they just dont have the stopping power I want. They came pre-bled and then I bled them again a few weeks again and I'm just not very thrilled about them. I am thinking of getting Hayes Stroker Ace or Avid Elixir R what do you guys/gals think? Maybe Avid Code?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have the elixirs and for a 200lb guy, they stop me VERY well on 160mm rotors. Id go with them

mtbr member
    I am 6'2" and 220 and love the Elixir R's... use them on my trail bike and my FR/DH bike with larger 203m rotors, plenty of power for one finger braking and great modulation.

My friend just received his new set of Stroker Aces.. if you are not in any hurry I will post a comparison in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Prostreet513
    I am currently running Hayes Stroker Rydes and they just dont have the stopping power I want. They came pre-bled and then I bled them again a few weeks again and I'm just not very thrilled about them. I am thinking of getting Hayes Stroker Ace or Avid Elixir R what do you guys/gals think? Maybe Avid Code?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Def. the Elixir's I have them as well and there incredibly strong. Pretty much noise free to

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    I am 6'2" and 220 and love the Elixir R's... use them on my trail bike and my FR/DH bike with larger 203m rotors, plenty of power for one finger braking and great modulation.

My friend just received his new set of Stroker Aces.. if you are not in any hurry I will post a comparison in a few days.

Would be interested in your comparison.

mtbr member
    6'5" 250lbs. Ran Elixirs all last year (185mm/160mm) and changed to Hope Tech 2s this year. Elixirs have great stopping power. Hopes have better power, but at a price premium.

You can't go wrong with the Elixirs.

mtbr member
    They are all broken in now and from a few rides of them they seem to bite faster with less middle ground (I kept accidentally skidding the rear) I think they have less modulation but it very well could be they have a little more power and a smaller rear rotor would be a better choice with them.

Both have more than enough power, if I was going to buy another set of brakes for my trails and parks I would buy Elixir but depending on how you brake and on really long trails where overheating is a major concern I feel the Hayes 4 pots and huge pads would be an advantage.

We both have the same model bike and size so it was fun being able to actually compare something.

Quote Originally Posted by ataylor
    Would be interested in your comparison.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    what size rotors?

mtbr member
    Elixir 203's F&R and Hayes v8's F&R on the freeride bikes

I use Elixir 185's on my everyday trail bike.... with 2.3 tires and steeper fork I feel the 203's would be gross overkill

Quote Originally Posted by ataylor
    what size rotors?