Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Hayes (Stoker Trails) stands behind their product

I run a set of Hayes Stroker Trails, hyd disc brakes on my 29er SS. I have been running these for a couple years. I wrote John Trusky @ Hayes asking some advice about my pistons sticking a little. He said just send them to me, he rebuilt the master cylinders and replaced the caliper pistons and bled the lines and SHIPPED THEM BACK OVER NIGHT at NO CHARGE. Brakes were gone 3 days total. Thats old time service.

I will not hesitate to buy a Hayes product again.

Stacey Coker

Threading freely...
    Yeah, I had the same experience, and was offered the same service. But I opted to do it myself so I wouldn't be without brakes for a few days, and I was sent a pair of new pistons for free.

Great service. I wasn't thrilled by my Hayes Stroker Trails, to be honest. But this level of costumer service will make take a good look at Hayes offerings when I buy a new set.
    Threading lightly and respectfully wherever I want....

mtbr member
    All companies should treat their customers this way. Are you listening Sram? After reading the OP I took a few minutes to shoot Hayes Tech department an e-mail about a bent piston/pad retention problem I was having with a Stroker Trail I bought in 2008. Within 3 days I had an RA number, I sent the brake off and a week later it came back with a pair of new pistons to address my complaint and a new set of pads just because mine were worn. The whole process was painless, no BS about handling it through an "authorized dealer" or even a request for date of purchase or receipt. It was basically, oh you have a set of brakes with our name on the side and they aren't working right, well send them in and we'll fix or replace them. Awesome!

mtbr member
    I can't say enough good things about Hayes. Had old hfx on my DH bike..no issues ever. Got some Stroker Ace's for my Pitch, I ride a large frame and the brake line was a little short (visually, im and old snob and like the front cables to look even).

Emailed them my issue and they sent me a new line cut to the exact length i requested, at no charge.

Two seasons now on the Ace's no issues, and finally time for new pads.

Go hayes and never look back

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup, Hayes treated me right when one of my master cylinder pistons began sticking in the bore.

mtbr member
    always good to hear/read about customer satisfaction.

mtbr member
    It sure is refreshing reading a thread like this!

I have had a few experiences like this in the MTB world with Hayes, Magura, and Thomson that I immediately remember.

trail "cleaner"

The best....

I've been running Hayes brakes now for over a decade (Mags/Aces/Stroker trails) and their CS is 2nd to none. Prime Pros are next on my list
    No dabs allowed!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    great brakes and cs, I've always been happy with Hayes...

ouch....
    Same here. great service.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Good to know, I may need to contact them...

Just put on some stroker trails, I can't believe the sounds these brakes are making. You can hear every slot and hole passing through the pads, it's like the pads are grabbing on to a cheese grater. I used these same rotor with my Avid BBs and they were silent. Readjusted the calipers several times, brakes only really make noise when your applying full pressure. At light pressure, they are silent. I did a little searching, sounds like a softer pad should fix this. If not I'll contact Hayes and see what they recommend. Anyone else experience this?

Update:

I took the pads out and filed down the leading edges, it seems to have fixed the problem. Now just a slight squeal on the front, I think this will either go away or can be fixed with alignment.
    Last edited by EEEliminator; 05-08-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Need More Bikes
    Another thumbs up for Hayes. I broke my pivot pin on my Hayes Ryde brakes. After dealing with Green Tire Bikes' BS of not sending my order, I sent them an email mentioning the pin and what's the best place to order one, and instead they're sending me the updated (stronger) pins in the mail. Pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EEEliminator View Post
    Good to know, I may need to contact them...

Just put on some stroker trails, I can't believe the sounds these brakes are making. You can hear every slot and hole passing through the pads, it's like the pads are grabbing on to a cheese grater. I used these same rotor with my Avid BBs and they were silent. Readjusted the calipers several times, brakes only really make noise when your applying full pressure. At light pressure, they are silent. I did a little searching, sounds like a softer pad should fix this. If not I'll contact Hayes and see what they recommend. Anyone else experience this?

Update:

I took the pads out and filed down the leading edges, it seems to have fixed the problem. Now just a slight squeal on the front, I think this will either go away or can be fixed with alignment.
    Run semi-metallic pads

The fixed the issues on my giant trance x (and Hayes shipped 2 pairs to me free! A+ support)

Still not a big fan of the brakes.

mtbr member
    I too had the trails and the pad pin bent. Never tried calling. Thanks for this advice albeit too late since i gave them away and went with avid Crs. So Much better modulation. Maybe their new primes are better?

Short-Change-Hero
    Funny that I found this thread. Been thinking of upgrading from my BB7s to Hayes Stroker Trails on my Inbred 29er HT and/or building a FS 29er and using Hayes ST. I sent their customer service a question regarding the brakes and their compatibility with my Shimano RT-64 centerlock rotors and got a response back from John Trusky within 2 days. He and I exchanged emails, one of which was praising their CS and their sister company Manitou who I have worked with on tuning my Tower Pro 100mm. Anyways, John gave me some great advice, even went as far as to read the entire thread that TrailMaker and I have been working on with Manitou in the 29er forum and shot me some advice for TrailMaker on a recent freehub detonation he had on a Shimano M525.

Absolutely STELLAR service from these guys. My next set of items will definitely be from Hayes/Manitou/SunRingle/Answer.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    stroker ace now on the wish list hehe

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I will jump in here and confirm Hayes and manitous customer service is awesome!
    I live in the same city they operate out of and have actually had the pleasure of bringing in a faulty rear brake caliper to them for replacement. They did quick work and had me on the trail same day! The only thing is that like an earlier post said you will have to wait a few days for a response to your email or phone message. I can understand since they put a lot of effort into every claim! I will continue to throw Hayes and manitou products onto my builds for sure

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I heard about the better performance of the stroker. But when you ever had a Hayes HFX Brake you will never buy a Hayes again. That was the worst brake I ever had on the bike and in the past they have sold so much complete bikes with that worse brake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PitchCrew View Post
    Two seasons now on the Ace's no issues, and finally time for new pads.

Go hayes and never look back
    I'm seriously considering ditching my Juicy Carbons for a set of these on my DH bike. I read that they have good power and modulation... What do you think?

Helmetless Crasher
    Have had great luck in dealing with them, too. Nothing major like above, just great responsiveness and thoroughness to my set-up questions.

I like the Stroker Carbons that came on my bike, and when ready will likely go with a set of Primes.

Customer SUPPORT on stuff like brakes is huge to me.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Good to hear. I've scoured the internet and found that 95% of the comments on Stroker Aces are positive in addition to praising their customer service. I'm talking to them right now about what brake adapters I'll need to make the switch, exciting stuff.

mtbr member
    Best CS in the biz. Nothing but great experiences working with them professionally and personally.

dirt visionary
    Same here had one of the first pairs of the line when they were introduced..Had issues paid lbs to fix no luck asked lbs to call about it maybe it could be warrantied they hesitated...I emailed got a response got a ra number and was taken care of quickly oh this was after trouble shooting over the phone first...4 years later they are still going strong but are looking their age lol ..Hayes CS rules hands down!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Never had to worry about warranty with my Hayes. Thats a good thing! Had to work on em a few times though due to my own clumsiness.

My stroker grams perform alright. Probably wouldnt buy another set if I had to do it over again. fit, finish and paint are pretty poor and function is sufficient.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Good to know I just bought a set from Pricepoint for $69/ each and can't wait to try them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast