Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hayes Stoker

6K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  dirkfh 
#1 ·
Are they any good in terms of stopping power? I haven't been following the news so it's practically unknown to me but the price is pretty attractive.

Best regards,
Roy

#2 ·
They are very powerful, equal or more powerful than Avid brakes if you've tried them, but allot nicer lever feel and no noise like you get on Avids. Be sure to get the Trail version, if you get the Ryde version the lever will feel absolutely rubbish, really rubbish. Apart from that they're very good value and I happily recommend them to you:thumbsup:.

Here's a pic of my Trail levers on my Trance X to make want them even more:

#4 ·
how's the modulation compared to what you've ridden previously?

thanks,

-Sp

EGF168 said:
They are very powerful, equal or more powerful than Avid brakes if you've tried them, but allot nicer lever feel and no noise like you get on Avids. Be sure to get the Trail version, if you get the Ryde version the lever will feel absolutely rubbish, really rubbish. Apart from that they're very good value and I happily recommend them to you:thumbsup:.

#6 ·
EGF168 said:
Actually while I'm here, I don't mean to pick you're spelling or if it was just you remembering the name wrong but its Hayes Stroker Trail brakes and not Hayes Stoker.:D
Oops, my bad. I was distracted by an unexpected call while writing the message and didn't notice the mistake.

Best regards,
Roy

#7 ·
I've been running my strokers for about 3 months now. These are awesome. They've got awesome modulation. Total control of how much you want to slow down but if you really do need to stop, they WILL stop you without skidding or locking up or throwing you over the bars. I've ridden Juicy 7, Juicy 5, Hayes Mags, HFX9 and the Strokers just blow them away by far...

Attachments

#8 ·
mrpercussive said:
I've been running my strokers for about 3 months now. These are awesome. They've got awesome modulation. Total control of how much you want to slow down but if you really do need to stop, they WILL stop you without skidding or locking up or throwing you over the bars. I've ridden Juicy 7, Juicy 5, Hayes Mags, HFX9 and the Strokers just blow them away by far...
Psssh... It's because you're using an Avid adapter! :D

#10 ·
EGF168 said:

Thanks for the reply. I've got the J7 and unfortunately, the El Camino. I have had problems with them both. The El doesn't provide enough stopping power under certain circumstances. I am lucky enough not to have a noisy J7 but I have been having some problems with the rear caliper. Anyway, the Stroker is aimed to replace the El Camino. The Trail is the one I'm thinking of getting. Originally, I was thinking of getting the CODE 5 as the replacement but I can get 2 sets of Stroker Trail at the price of one CODE 5 where I live. Now, I may as well replace the troublesome J7 with the Stroker.

Best regards,
Roy

#12 ·
steve_123 said:
my friend just got a kona scrap and when he rides it and goes to stop they barley stop him and they look hideos id go with the hayes nines i have a pair on my bike and they look sick are strong and easy to put on
well the reason they suck might be becuse he said he got a small amount of oil on the pads so they might be good if u dont get oil on the pads

#17 ·
I have the Stroker Rydes and the levers do wiggle around a bit more but the modulation and power seems identical near as I can tell. I wouldn't shy away from them if youre price restricted. Best brakes I've used, waaaaaaaay better than Nine's. I actually have an option now between full on and full off!

#18 ·
This is great to hear! I actually loved the Hayes Nines, and am considering going to the new Strokers. How do they compare to Shimano XTR or Hone? One of my bikes currently has 6" XTR's (XC bike) and the other has Hone brakes with 8" rotors (fun bike!). How do they Strokers compare?

#19 ·
From all the posts, it's safe to say the Stroker is reasonably trouble-free then I have already talked to the LBS and the owner said he would keep two in reserve for me. I'm thinking of getting them on Monday. Anyway, what are the differences between the Trail and Carbon apart from the levers? Just a matter of curiosity really. I actually prefer the Trail to the Carbon as I'm not a big fan of carbon stuff.

Best regards,
Roy

#20 ·
roypk said:
From all the posts, it's safe to say the Stroker is reasonably trouble-free then I have already talked to the LBS and the owner said he would keep two in reserve for me. I'm thinking of getting them on Monday. Anyway, what are the differences between the Trail and Carbon apart from the levers? Just a matter of curiosity really. I actually prefer the Trail to the Carbon as I'm not a big fan of carbon stuff.

Best regards,
Roy
Internally nothing as far as I know. If you do chose to buy them, check them in the shop that the lever movers in and out freely cos if it's the first batch them it's a quite common problem but its easily fixed.
See here:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=365724

#22 ·
EGF168 said:
Internally nothing as far as I know. If you do chose to buy them, check them in the shop that the lever movers in and out freely cos if it's the first batch them it's a quite common problem but its easily fixed.
See here:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=365724
Many thanks for the warning. The installation will be done by the LBS so if there is a problem, they will be the one dealing with it. I know the owner quite well. He is a biker himself and is willing to take good care of his customers.

Best regards,
Roy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.