Thread: Hayes Soles XC

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Hayes Soles XC

I'm currently looking into getting a new bike, the bike that is currently #1 on my list is the Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc. This comes with Hayes Soles. Now I've read that these are at the lower end of Hydro brakes, and that they have a single piston rather then 2.

Does anyone have any information on these brakes? Are they going to be better then say a mechanical disc brake?

I took a look at them on the bike and the levers are really huge looking (not really a problem if they work) and then you look at a bike that comes with the avid mechanicals and you get nice little 2 or 1 finger levers. now my LBS said that any parts that I would like to have changed I get the value of the part removed towards the new part, which makes me wonder about these brakes a little.

What would you suggest?
    Leave the stock brakes on?
    Look into changing them to something else?
    (The bike is already basically at the limit of my budget so its more a curiousity question, no real room to actually upgrade parts)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Just a small update, I was talking to the guy at my LBS yesterday and it turns out that the Hayes Soles are just an OEM product, you can't even purchase these as an aftermarket product, this leads me to beleive that they probably aren't really that great of a disc brake.. they seemed to work just fine, but has the guy at the LBS said they have very limited adjustablity

We want... a shrubbery!
    I hadn't even heard of this brake... and I can't find that much about them on the internet. Also, the brakes are Hayes Sole XC (not being critical, just if you look for information on "Soles" you woudn't find anything but some French posts on a website :P )
    You are right, they look to be the lowest level hydraulic disc that Hayes offers. As to whether they'd be better than mechanical disc brakes--that can be tossed up in the air and could be argued for years. However, this is a lower end set, and the Avid mechs would most likely outpreform the Sole XCs.
    Personally, I run Avid 7 BBDBs, and I would recommend them to anyone. Easy to set up and maintain and plenty of power--oh yea, and relatively cheap. However, I don't know about those brakes and I can't find any reviews on them to suggest one way or the other. Overall, it's your call... but I suggest going with the Avid Mechs.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the Reply, Yeah I'm thinking about asking the shop how much it would be to switch to a set of Avids, if the cost is reasonable (they offer you the value of the part removed towards the part added) I might go for it.

Like I said I was at the LBS yesterday and I did try a bike with the Hayes and a bike with Avids (Avid CPS Disc, OEM on the Giant Rainier '04) and I thought the Avids where just as good, also I really liked the Avid levers alot more then the hayes. And I suspect if I wanted to replace the Hayes levers I would run into troubles.

Well I'm still trying different bikes so we will see what happens in the end, if I go with a Rainier '04 then I don't need to worry about the brakes. But if the GF fits me better then I'll have to see what I do about the brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have ridden with the Soles for about 4 weeks.
    They will stop you well the only disadvatage is the single piston, as the brakes wear you need to adjust the inside brake pad in towards the rotor this is a really easy no mess adjust, same with the outer pad with less frequency.
    These are OK all weather XC brakes, on extended DH's they started to fade a little as I am 100kgs.
    I have run with the Avids as well and they were OK, I still prefered the Sole's, I have now installed the Mags and they are brilliant.
    The Soles were on an NRS3.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I also have Hayes Sole's on my bike. The front is Sole HD, and the rear is Sole XC. They can stop me any time, any where. The problem comes when there is a realy long steep hill when the brakes start to overheat (but that would happen most other brakes too). They are very easy to seat up and if they are seat up good they work really great. My opinion is: Don't change them for a mechanical Avid!

Here are some pics: http://tabla.bike.si/gallery/AC