Thread: Hayes Sole vent

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hayes Sole vent

The hardware on these brakes is complete trash. I have been spinning wrenches since I could walk but the Hayes Sole brakes on the Haro X7 I just got are like toys. One of the first things I did was put the levers where I wanted them. Allen wrench rounded out the screws on both sides like a hot knife through butter. No big deal I just replaced them with real allen screws. Tonight I was playing with it a little and the front lever was a little soft for my taste, not bad but not right there like I prefer so I figure I'll bleed it real quick. Of course the bleed nipple starts rounding immediately ....... whatever.......on with the bleeding which takes forever to get any kind of pressure back for some reason and it still ain't great :madman. Went to put the cap back on the master cylinder and before it even gets tight the friggin threads strip out of the housing So now I gotta find a whole new master cylinder housing. Just shopping around on the online bike sights and looking at the lack of parts support on the Hayes websight I think I might just move on to a whole new brake that isn't a kid toy.
    Just had to get my rant on since a 5 minute job has turned into an ordeal that's gonna be costly to fix no matter what and I was planning on riding the thing this weekend.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah, a pretty low end OEM component. We sell Haro, and some of their models achieve a darned good entry level price with some pretty cheap parts. Hayes makes some pretty good hydro brakes for the most part, but a single piston OEM setup like the Sole is probably one of the cheapest hydros that one can buy. I've seen some of those Sole sets sold at online stores for $34.95 complete with rotor and everything. Maybe you should also be upset with Haro for using that level product, but on the other hand, that's how Haro gets the price down. Everything's a compromise.

mtbr member
    wow 35$ is pretty cheap - cheaper than mechs. that wouldn't be for F&R would it?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Nope...just one unit for that price.

Meh.
    IMO, the Tektro hydraulics are better than the Soles.

mtbr member
    I don't know why the hell they made Soles. One of the advantages of Hydros is opposing caliper and this just defeats that purpose of having a hydro system.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I think I'd agree with that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL

No doubt, that's what I have on my other bike and never a minutes trouble with them.

With the Sole's I thought I had them at least ghetto rigged back together but now I'm back to no pressure in the system after doing a complete off the bike purge. Those things are in the trash can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think I've narrowed down the (original) problem to the master cylinder and something to do with the vent hole/little plastic plug/rubber boot. I get it to build great pressure when the cover is up then put it on the bar rotate it to where it needs to be and within a few sqeezes/ seconds I'm back to no pressure. No leaks and no air in the system anywhere. The MC is trashed anyway since I had to tap it it to a different thread pitch so I could get a screw in and tight and there's no way I can sleep at night knowing it's like that.

So the bottom line is I need to replace it. Buying a new MC is just as much in the end as buying a complete new brake. So my least expensive least painful option looks like the Hayes HXF9 HD. I keep the same 8" rotor use the same adaptor and all should be good. Otherwise I am looking at twice as much to change over to something like the Avid Juicy 7. Wouldn't mind rolling the Juicy's but not trying to get crazy with this thing either. There are some other parts I'd like to replace on it and this is supposed to be a low budget freeride/am project while I ponder my options for a fully blinged out 6" AM rig next year.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Rich, have you looked at Avid Elixir R models? I an old Hayes fan...Mags...but the Elixir may be about the most powerful 2-piston hydro going, and the R is very affordable. You can use your Hayes caliper mount and rotor with Elixirs in the 8" rotor. I work at a shop and can afford the Elixir CR model but saw no need to spend the extra money. Modulation and power are the same. I've already changed 2 of my bikes over to the Elixirs. One had Juicys and one had Hayes Mags.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The Elixer fixed er. I found a sweet deal on one at Bicycle Warehouse so I went ahead and jumped on it. Dude at the Trek store gave me beat up master cylinder from an HFX-9 so I rebuilt the Sole and it seems good to go but I'm way happier to have the Elixer on there,
    Got a full spare if I need it now and the X7 is finished other than the Blackspire Stinger chain guide I want to put on but I'll pick that up whenever. Now it would be nice if the temp in SoCal wasn't 100 so I could go session this thing without the heat misery.

Side note.....

Having plenty of bike shops around rocks, and it's cool to find the ones with soul. San Diego has quite a few and it's hard to pick just one best shop.
    Last edited by FastRich; 04-20-2009 at 11:18 PM.