Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Hayes So1e's...

  1. #1
    get out and ride.
    Reputation: rage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    101

    Hayes So1e's...

    Are these crap? I know they have 1 piston instead of 2 which really turns me off.. I was looking at getting a Jamis Dakar XLT and it comes with the So1es.. If they are THAT bad I was going to see if they will throw on some avid juicys then just pay the difference.. What do you guys think? (really hoping they will do that haha)

    Thanks in advance.
    [SIZE="2"]never quit ~ never die[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"] Adrenaline Junkie (soon)[/SIZE]

  2. #2
    This is bat country.
    Reputation: mtbiker731's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    132
    They're pretty bad. They were on a demo bike I tried out. The lack of power scared me. There is no comparison to the Juicys. These brakes are only OEM, and are not even available for retail purchase. That says something to me. I think they were sold by OEM sales as a cheap way to market "this bike has Hayes hydraulic discs!" when really they perform terribly.

    Honestly, I wouldn't bother with them. See if the shop would swap them out and offer you a deeper discount on the Juicys.
    If the rig made the rider, I'd be pro...

  3. #3
    get out and ride.
    Reputation: rage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    101
    Haha. Thanks for the response, thats what I was waiting to hear. When I test rode the bike they felt pretty weak.. Even looking at them was scary haha
    [SIZE="2"]never quit ~ never die[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"] Adrenaline Junkie (soon)[/SIZE]

  4. #4
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Even some Avid BB7's would be a monumental improvement over the Sole's. I'm a Hayes guy myself...but even I can see that the Sole is a turd. Reminds me of the old single piston Coda brakes...man, talk about a total pile of poo!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,288
    Lose them ASAP

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3
    I just swapped out Juicy 7's for my soles that came on my Giant. Haven't hit the trails yet, but have commuted to work on them. I would highly recommend making the upgrade. They feel so much better. The soles did work for two season's but I had no clue what I was missing. I can't wait to hit the trails with the Juicy's

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    18

    they're not that bad...

    I have 2005 Hayes Nines, and I have recently ridden a brand new Gary Fisher Tassajara with Soles on it, and honestly, they're not that different from my Nines. I've ridden BB7s as well for comaparison. There's a difference, but is it the difference that would make/break a bike purchase (especially on a budget)...? I dont think so. Just an opinion from someone not too concerned about parts/names/upgrading crap....

  8. #8
    MTBR Demi-God
    Reputation: anirban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    832
    Hayes So1es and Nines are not great brakes. The modulation is virutally nonexistent, and power is not great either. I would not recommend either one of them.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MikeDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by anirban
    Hayes So1es and Nines are not great brakes. The modulation is virutally nonexistent, and power is not great either. I would not recommend either one of them.
    The modulation on my Hayes 9s is just fine.

  10. #10
    I AM I AM
    Reputation: ducktape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,214
    Main problem here was with the IS mount version I couldn't get the full use out of them - ie full life out of the pads without the braking power deteriorating due to lack of adjustment to get the pads closer in to the rotor once the pads are halfway worn.
    I replaced my Soles with a set of Shimano XT hydros and the modulation is way better. I found the power on the soles was ok but basically off & on, no modulation control whatsoever.

  11. #11
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    The pistons are not self adjusting. You use an allen key to dial both the inboard and outboard pads in closer to the rotor. That's why you weren't getting full pad life. You have to adjust the pads closer as they wear.

    I'd stay away.

    If you think the 9s and So1es modulate well, then you probably don't ride very hard, or haven't ridden a better brake. It's not a knock at anybody, just my own opinion. It's just like with a car, some people stop just fine with rear drums and front discs. Other's prefer 4-wheel disc.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The pistons are not self adjusting. You use an allen key to dial both the inboard and outboard pads in closer to the rotor. That's why you weren't getting full pad life. You have to adjust the pads closer as they wear.

    I'd stay away.

    If you think the 9s and So1es modulate well, then you probably don't ride very hard, or haven't ridden a better brake. It's not a knock at anybody, just my own opinion. It's just like with a car, some people stop just fine with rear drums and front discs. Other's prefer 4-wheel disc.
    I think he knows that, he'll be referring to the same issue I have - I only seem to have got less than 1/2 wear on the pads before theres no more adjustment. I had to get new pads and they are more expensive than pads for better brakes (although I got Kool stops and the power is quite a bit better than standard). I am going to shim mine out and put something behind the pads to get the proper life out of them. The brakes are OK. I am going to put them on my commuter sometime and get better brakes for my MTB though.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MikeDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo
    I think he knows that, he'll be referring to the same issue I have - I only seem to have got less than 1/2 wear on the pads before theres no more adjustment. I had to get new pads and they are more expensive than pads for better brakes (although I got Kool stops and the power is quite a bit better than standard). I am going to shim mine out and put something behind the pads to get the proper life out of them. The brakes are OK. I am going to put them on my commuter sometime and get better brakes for my MTB though.
    Maybe you need more fluid in the system.

  14. #14
    I AM I AM
    Reputation: ducktape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo
    I think he knows that, he'll be referring to the same issue I have - I only seem to have got less than 1/2 wear on the pads before theres no more adjustment. I had to get new pads and they are more expensive than pads for better brakes (although I got Kool stops and the power is quite a bit better than standard). I am going to shim mine out and put something behind the pads to get the proper life out of them. The brakes are OK. I am going to put them on my commuter sometime and get better brakes for my MTB though.
    Yep that's correct.

    And it's also true that I never attempted to give them a bleed or anything to see if it would make any difference.

  15. #15
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    Just thought I'd make sure.

  16. #16
    I AM I AM
    Reputation: ducktape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,214

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Just thought I'd make sure.

    Thanks Will, like a good mechanic you always start with the most obvious and give great advice rather than just jumping to big conclusions. Ha ha you should probably get paid for it.

  17. #17
    bikerbert
    Reputation: bikerbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,071
    These brakes are not very good. The rear brake on my brand new Anthem 3 died last night after only three rides. I was in my garage making a wheel change, pulled the lever, and it started dripping. Pulled it, and bam, right to the handle bar with zero resistance. Before breaking, it had horrible stopping power, faded, and didn't matter how it was adjusted. Too bad, because the front brake worked well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •