mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Hayes So1e Direct Replacement?

I have a 2007 Giant Trance 3 XC bike that came with Hayes So1e disc brakes that have reached their lifespan. I'm looking for a good replacement that will work out of the box but have no idea what I should be looking for.

I'm 6'2" & 225 lbs. so take that into consideration when suggesting stopping power.

mtbr member
    New Deore M596, SLX or XT
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    M775's are fine too. Get bigger rotors if you do faster tracks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What is the differences with Shimano brakes when it comes to the model number & price tag?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Was gonna get some saint brakes used on the cheap, but some bugger got to the seller first. Settled on the XT M775 instead. Construction is solid. I feel that power is similar to the 2013 deore and SLXs...

XT (M7XX) and XTR have one piece calipers, more adjustments than SLX (M6XX) and Deore (M5XX). Most argue that the adjustments don't really do much though...

Performance wise, comparing my older XTs and my buddy's new XT lever + slx caliper, not much of a difference. If you were on a budget, maybe get Deore M596s or SLX M666/675 and put some bigger rotors on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I ended up ordering Shimano XT M785 simply because they were the only complete matching set in stock.