Thread: Hayes ryde

idigscars
    Aug 2009

Hayes ryde

I'm having all sorts of issues with these brakes. I ordered a complete bike from Jenson. The rear brake seems to have no power at all, and the front brake lever has no play in it,. curious if there is anything I can do. Any suggestions welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bome View Post
    I'm having all sorts of issues with these brakes. I ordered a complete bike from Jenson. The rear brake seems to have no power at all, and the front brake lever has no play in it,. curious if there is anything I can do. Any suggestions welcome.

I have hayes Ryde on my stock KHS Velvet. I think they are great breaks for the cost and might not have the greatest stopping power but do stop me quickly when I want to. I am actually going to put up a post about improving stopping power. But no power at all seems like something might be wrong. I would have them bled again and also clean the back rotor to make sure there is no packing grease from the chain and rear cassette on it. My back rotor had a little packing grease on it when I first took the bike out of the box. I would consider bleeding them again though or take it to a shop if you are not familiar with that.

mtbr member
    No advice for you really, other than rebuilding them and figuring out what's wrong. They should work fine, like mine do.

mtbr member
    I have Rydes on my bike and they work fine. plenty while using a 6" rotor up front.

In regards to your brakes, having no play have you tried resetting the pistons? Rear brake, if it doesnt feel spongy, may have contaminated pads. In which case you should clean the rotor with isopropyl alcohol and then fit a new set of pads.

Depending on your riding style, the rear brake may not have bedded in properly yet either.

mmmaxxis
    May 2011
    In my opinion, i would bleed them again because sometimes the manufacturer messes up on the bleeding or they just did a bad job. (also, air could have gotten into the tube if you bled them your self)

mtbr member
    I have the Hayes Ryde on my '09 Trek 8000. They make a ton of noise (mostly the rear), everything from squealing to grinding to spoke "twang". It's disturbing. The rear also drags a lot, no matter how I adjust the mount bolts.

Anyone have any advice for fixing 'em? They are nearly new, and I've cleaned/sanded/re-bedded them several times now. They might be OK for an hour or two, then they start making awful noises again. Doesn't seem like the piston is retracting fully either...

mtbr member
    I have Rydes that squeal and I have found that the spray on anti squeal stuff you by at an auto parts store works for a while. Its a clear blue spray that stays tacky. You spray it on the back of your pads. For me it stops the squeal for several rides, but then you need to reapply it.
    Your brakes shouldn't be dragging. If you have a stuck piston you need to clean and or rebuild, which I haven't done so I can't give any advice on that.