Thread: Hayes question

Still chuggin' along

Hayes question

Hi all,

I recently had my fork worked on and now my front brake only works when I squeeze really hard. It doesn't have that same grabby feel that it had before. I've cleaned the rotor with rubbing alcohol and lightly sanded the pads but the only time it feels normal is when I roll the bike backwards and squeeze. Doesn't do me much good when I'm riding!

Any ideas? When I took out the pads I didn't push the pistons back in so maybe that's all it is (I hope). I'll have to check later but if you have any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Cheers,
    Kristina

www.derbyrims.com
    Try new pads yet? (You'll need them sooner or later anyway). If it's a squishy lever, the fluid probably needs bleeding. Seems like the bike shop that worked on it should fix it since they introduced the problem.

Good luck.

- ray

Baliw
    Jan 2004
    What work had been done on your forks? Any oil involved, which could have dripped on to the pads?

When you say you have to grab the brakes really hard, does that mean the lever travel is the same but the brake doesn't "bite" as hard, or did the lever travel change so that the lever needs to go all the way to the grip before the pads touch the rotor? If it's the first case, then the pads might be toast. If it's the latter case, you just need to adjust the pad contact point by re-adjusting the pistons.

A useful piece of advice from Mike:
    For hydroheads: question on lever travel with hydraulics
    Last edited by Juramentado; 01-31-2004 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added info

Still chuggin' along
    Hmm, well it sounds like the pads might be toast then. I just replaced them in August and with al lthe oil that's been on the fork, it wouldn't surprise me if it got on the pads. The lever travel is the same but the brake doesn't "bite" as hard until the lever gets closer to the handlebar. Thanks for the link-good info

The bike shop has new pads but we're waiting until the new cartridge from Manitou comes before anything else is done. I had the travel increased from 100 to 120mm and now the fork has a harsh top out so the shop thinks the new cartridge will eliminate that. I have no idea if that will make a difference or not but he's going to change the pads then.

At any rate, at least it sounds like its nothing major so that's a relief (although, it would have been a good excuse to pick up some Juicys )

Cheers,
    Kristina