Thread: hayes problems

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

hayes problems

I have a 2003 liquid with hayes fx9 disc brakes.

I let the bike sit for about 6 months and just tried to ride it and both front and rear brakes are locked up.
    Took the pads out pushed the pistons in cleaned the pads and rotors with alchol< there was some build up on the bakcs of the pads..........recentered the calipers. Spun the wheels all was good
    went out on a ride made it ablout a mile and then they locked up again.
    Got the bike home but not sure what to do now
    Any ideas

Meh.
    The system is probably overfilled. Inspect carefully for any leaks. I had a Liquid come in with the exact same problem. The caliper halves were seeping out fluid. This also allowed the DOT fluid to absorb moisture from the air, this meant that the fluid volume increased. The system couldn't compensate for all the extra fluid, so it pushes the pistons out. If you can't find any leaks, bleed the system and see if it solves the problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    no signs of leakage but i pulled the caps on the master cylinder and fluid was running out.
    I bleed them out and went for a ride, and everything was mint
    thanks for the help

Former Bike Wrench
    Since its been sitting for a few months AND they are 4 year old brakes, you may want to completely bleed out the old fluid with some fresh DOT 3, 4, or 5.1. The stock DOT 4 fluid does absorb water, which will lower the boiling point of your fluid. Since, after sitting 6 months they were "suddenly" overfilled, I'm willing to bet you have a lot of moisture in the system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    did do a full bleed with fresh dot4
    I was going to use super blue but I dont know how the bike would like that