Tribe member

New question here. Hayes Prime Pro vs Hayes Stroker Trail

I'm curious of everyone's comparison of the two. There's not much of a weight difference. And the Strokers I could get front and rear for the price of one Prime. Do the Primes offer a much better feel and stopping power?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had the Stroker Ryde's (which are bottom of line Hayes brakes and they sucked). The brakes were practically binary,the power was on or off. Maximum power wasn't that great either. I actually replaced the Stroker Rydes with a set of Elixir CR's which were far better in terms of both power and modulation.

Aside from power the other advantage to using the Prime Pros' would be adjustability. You can adjust both lever reach as well as power application. Although they're pricey I would advise getting the Prime Pro rotors. Especially with a set of powerful calipers, rotors can greatly improve both braking power and consistency.

The calipers on the Prime Pro's are beefy. I can't say the Prime Pros are the best brakes on the market but they're a step up compared to the Stroker Trails. However in terms of absolute power the NEW Shimano XT's are suppose to be better than the Primes and they at approximately $110-$120 per set they're cheaper as well.
    Last edited by mefistofeles; 10-27-2012 at 01:17 AM.

mtbr member
    I own both models of brakes.

I had some issues with the Strokers. The pins inside the pistons that secure the pads would bend causing the pads to fall out and the springs in the master cylinder would rare out and I had to rebuild my levers.

So far my Prime Pros are solid. Way more breaking power than the Strokers. The Prime pros are bad ass. I love the one finger breaking, so far no brake fade when they get hot.

Cheers

mtbr member
    After riding Stroker Trails for 4 years, I'd wouldn't buy them. They've been OK brakes but compared to other systems (Avid, Magura, and Shimano) they are relatively weak and spongy.

I don't have any experience with Primes but they must be better. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have used both along with Avid Elixer 5's and can tell you the Prime Pro's rock. I can't imagine anyone needing a more powerful brake, because theses baby's are powerful. With the Crossfire system you can get the aligned in less than a minute, they look good and have all kinds of tool free alignment. pricepoint.com has them for $139 per wheel which is a great deal.
    2013 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Pro

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have the Stroker Trails on my old bike. Five years of heavy use and still working great. Have the Prime Pro's on two newer bikes this summer. Work great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    sorry guys for the offtopic,but could anyone explain me what's the difference between Hayes HFX9 and Hayes Nine,I'm builing up my first DH Bike and looking for brakes at the moment.Thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Pricepoint has the Hayes Prime Pro for $129 and the Expert for $104 which a great deal.
    2013 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Pro

Tribe member
    There's been some great information given. Thanks to all that have responded. I've been using some Juicy 5's. Can get the Strokers for super cheap and the Pro's for about the price that cycling51 mentioned above. It sounds like if I were to choose between the two, the Pro's would be where it's at. I've got several team members that like the Shimano XT's and I've read great things online. So I've narrowed it down to those two sets. Hopefully, my tax return this year will be able to afford a new set. If not, my Juicy's are managing just fine (for now).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just ordered the Prime Experts, they should be here Saturday. Should be a huge step up from the stock Dyno Comp setup. I can't wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I just ordered a set of Prime Experts from pricepoint.com and should be tomorrow. I have been using the Avid Elixir R that came on my Spec Enduro and haven't been happy with them. Probably more me than the brakes and a friend is using the prime experts and he loves them. I figured with the shimano ice tech rotors they should be a great upgrade from the Elixir's.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by retrofred View Post
    Well I just ordered a set of Prime Experts from pricepoint.com and should be tomorrow. I have been using the Avid Elixir R that came on my Spec Enduro and haven't been happy with them. Probably more me than the brakes and a friend is using the prime experts and he loves them. I figured with the shimano ice tech rotors they should be a great upgrade from the Elixir's.

I had trouble getting my Prime Pros to work with the Ice Tech Rotors. I had to file my calipers in some spots to get enough cleareance. But after a fair amount of filing everything worked out great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great that's what was afraid of. I think I might just sell those rotors rather than attempt to modify them. Glad I still have my other rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by retrofred View Post
    Great that's what was afraid of. I think I might just sell those rotors rather than attempt to modify them. Glad I still have my other rotors.
    I did not modify the rotors. The rivets that hold the two pieces together would hit the inside the caliper. I filed away some material inside the caliper to make more room. Now everything works great now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So my primes experts came in today and yes the front caliper rubs the shimano rotor. So I am posting two brand new shimano xt two peice rotors for sale. Whats a faor price I should ask for them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So I got my Prime Experts installed and did a quick test ride on my old magura rotors, and they are seriously stronger than the avid could ever be. Don't get me wrong, the avid brakes aren't bad but just don't have tje stopping power of the primes. Going to be getting some new hayes rotors to do actual burnishing. After I have some serious time on the primes I'll give a full review.

Last edited by retrofred; 11-17-2012 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got them in Saturday and have them all mounted up. They are unbelievably powerful compared to the stock Hayes Dyno's, I have to shorten the hoses and break them in, but so far I love them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've had a chance to ride with them a few times now and they are amazing. Once broken in one finger braking is a breeze. The fronts ended up needing a bleed right out of the box, but once bled, they have been awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've ran the Stroker trails on my Freeride bike for 2 years and had no complaints, awesome brake setup, especially for the super sale at pricepoint right now, $59.99 a wheel! I just ordered another set for my hardtail
    Still on training wheels