RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Hayes Prime Pro opinions?

I know Shimano is the brake of the moment around here but I was hoping to hear opinions of the Hayes Prime Pro? I'm 185lbs, experienced rider on 25lb all mountain bike and I'm actually pretty easy on my brakes. Pricepoint has them on sale for $129/wheel. At 600g for the set, I think its only about 100g heavier than the XTR trail, and about 20g heavier than a set of XTs. So, for the price, and considering the white/gold set would be beautiful in the color scheme of the bike I'm building...what do you guys think?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Love mine. Tool free reach and stroke adjust is great, and they're powerful enough for me. Can't beat that price either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have had the pros for over a year and could not be happier.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have the Prime Pro's on two bikes and they work great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    i almost bought prime pros but could afford it, im thinking of getting the expert.....but im stuck between 2 brakes tho

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Pricepoint has the Pro's for $129 a wheel or did not sure if they still do.
    2014 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Pro

Helmetless Crasher
    I had Hayes Stroker Carbon's previously, and considered going w/ Pro's as an upgrade, but went with XT's instead based on price, weight and reviews. XT's are great brakes that provide an "instant on" bite/feel and full power w/ minimal effort at the lever - that is pretty special at any price point.

Hayes makes a very good reliable product and has truly stellar outstanding customer support/service. I never had an issue w/ mine and never had to bleed them over the course of a year. They looked and worked like new when I sold them.

I would not hesitate if I were you.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1 View Post
    I have had the pros for over a year and could not be happier.
    so is prime the brake of choice or is shimano XT?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by konajumper View Post
    so is prime the brake of choice or is shimano XT?
    I have set of 2012 XT's on one of my bikes and have a set of prime pro's on order for my SS as well as a set of prime expert's on order for my fat bike. Hopefully they will arrive soon and I'll post up a comparison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Biopace View Post
    I have set of 2012 XT's on one of my bikes and have a set of prime pro's on order for my SS as well as a set of prime expert's on order for my fat bike. Hopefully they will arrive soon and I'll post up a comparison.
    Any update? I'm considering the three options you have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rothnic View Post
    I just bought a pair from Price Point last week. Have no idea how good they are because I dont have the bike to put them on just yet (will be going on a 27.5 Carbine).
    But they sure do look pretty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rothnic View Post
    Tough call between the two (Prime Pro's vs XT m785). Power and modulation is very similar and both are true one finger braking. I prefer the contact point and reach adjustment on the Prime. I do notice more fade on long extended downhills with the Prime over the XT. However, I have the Icetech rotors on the bike with the XT's and regular rotors on the Prime set.

Bottom line - You can't go wrong either way. Go with the best deal you can find. If you do go XT, get the Icetech rotors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I used Prime pros for few months. Great adjustment features, but all the time I had a feeling that these brakes are not for me. Not the best price - performance ratio, considering they are not very light, not very strong, and not even silent. Sold them and bought cheaper bn 2013 SLX's and I can only say: I won't use Primes ever again.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I bought a set for my wife this summer replacing Formula RX's on her Mojo HD.
    She loves them. Look great and work even better.
    I've been using Hayes brakes since 2005 and have never had any issues,very dependable.
    At that price the Prime Pros are a steal in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Resurrecting this thread from the obscurity I would say it's a question of what you want. If we're talking about ultimate braking power I would have to agree there are better choices, I prefer Avid Code brakes. However in terms of adjustability and reliability I think the Prime Pro's are in a league of their own. The reach and power adjust allow you to customize this brake for any taste. Not only can you can control how far the levers will go but when the power will come on and when they'll come on in your reach stroke. In terms of reliability the Prime Pro's are sick,I once pulled the levers sans rotors or brake inserts. After unjamming the brakes I had no problems, the lever worked perfectly. I know I certainly couldn't do this with my Avid brakes.

I don't think the Prime Pro's are for everyone but if you want something that's insanely reliabile with unmatched adjustability I say give them a shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The brakes are pretty good, but the "cross hair alignment" is a joke. The idea is great and it works good for awhile but mine stripped out after using it a few times. It doesn't prevent you from alighting the old fashion way though.
    2014 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Pro

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    I thought I would be really happy with mine, but they make a ton of noise. I constantly have to re-adjust them for rub. Any solution for this?
    Bring it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What sort of rotors are you using with your brakes? Although the prime rotors are somewhat pricey they worked well with the rotors. What sort of bike do you have your Prime Pros mounted on and what sort of riding are you doing? I used the Prime Pro's on a commuter bike. If you're doing heavy downhill riding or even aggressive all mountain riding your results may vary.

Then again I've always felt that the Prime Pro's were a great starting point for a true downhill brake. If only Hayes had built a quad caliper version of the Prime Pro that was double the size of the existing Prime Pro. However Hayes didn't build the Prime Pro 2X and passed up the opportunity to build the biggest baddest brakes on the market. I think that product would have redefined the entire disc brake market.

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Honestly, not sure what rotors they are, as the the bike was a mixed bag of crap parts when I bought it. The original brakes were older Hayes hfx mags; I guess I assumed the rotors were Hayes as well (although def not newer ones.) My bike is a Karate Monkey; just doing standard XC riding with it- nothing intensely brake-heavy (and I am only 125lbs.) They stop just fine, but make awful whiny chirpy noises (not when being used, just when the bike is moving.) Readjusting helps, but it comes back after a few rides. Sounds like both front and back.
    Bring it.

mtbr member
    @ Kyri- sounds like you have a stuck piston(s) that are makin contact with the rotor. The usual trick for all Hayes works great on the Primes. You don't need to pull calipers from the bike but do need to remove the wheel and pads. Take an 8 or 10mm box end wrench and push the pistons back in. Before doing so take a look and if they are dirty clean with some iso alcohol before pushing in. Re-install the pads and wheel. Insert a business card between the rotor and each pad side, pump the lever until it makes contact- I usually hold for a couple of minutes. This creates a "memmory" of sorts for the pistons and they should retract back to that point and no longer rub on the rotor.
    When I die I'm afraid my wife will sell all of my bikes, parts and gear for what I told her I paid for them.

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    ^^ Thanks, I will give that a try this weekend.
    Bring it.