mtbr member
    Oct 2012

hayes prime expert or shimano xt brakes?

im currently running hayes stroker trail with avid 2 piece sweeper-x rotors, in which i love besides sometimes they don't stay pressurized....im now going to be swapping them out but idk to what yet? ive been a hayes guy ever since i got my first hayes hydro brake. im stuck between hayes prime and shimano xt....any ideas?

T.W.O.
    Both are not my first choice of brake system I like, but Shimano XT is clearly better brakes than Hayes, not to mention they hold better value.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks, it just that i heard prime have bigger piston and a poppet cam which meaning deeper stroke or a less stroke....i just want a brake that has a firm feel and not a squishy feel

I did it all for the kudo
    Have never used Hayes but I can tell you that the Shimano brakes will not disappoint. I have owned both the XT and the XTR and love them. Quiet brake with great power.

2012 Shimano XT BL-M785 Hydraulic Disc Brake Set - Competitive Cyclist

For the price you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    I have had the 2012 XT brakes for about 6 months now. I use Avid G2 rotors and these brakes are the best I have riden on. I switched to different rotors for 1 ride then went right back to the G2's. Even the one finger levers are nice. Definitely go with the XT's you wont be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    the avid 2 piece sweeper-x rotors will work for them right? i run 160's with my hayes

Yep, 160's will work fine.

mtbr member

Helmetless Crasher
    I have had and enjoyed Hayes stroker carbon brakes. I agree. Good stuff.

Switched to XT's. nice upgrade in terms of weight, feel, engagement and power/lever effort. True one-finger brakes.

The Primes are supposed to be very nice, too. Doubt you would regret the choice. The Hayes have more unique aesthetics, are not ubiquitous, and come with amazing customer support. The XT's are a very tried and true stopper with great performance/price. Very ubiquitous, however (albeit for good reason!).
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Quote Originally Posted by carlosmontiel View Post
    Wow! That's a great deal!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    shimano XT is the choice of brake? or should i go with the hayes prime?

mtbr member
    Shimano XT.

mtbr member
    I have had a set of primes for about a year and a half now and really like them. I've always been a Hayes fan. For the last 6 months or so Ive had a set of XTs on another bike and love them. From a heavy user of both, I have to vote for the XT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    so XT is the prime brake i should go with?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by konajumper View Post
    so XT is the prime brake i should go with?
    lol is that a pun?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have both the Hayes Stroker Gram and XT's. To my untrained feel the power is about the same using the same rotors. The XT has easier reach adjustment and a shorter throw. The lever seem is smaller and the power comes on more suddenly. The Strokers have a longer overall lever throw and a ergonomic that I prefer. One finger braking on the Hayes allows my hand to be closer to the bar. The power comes on more linearly making it easier for me to lightly trail the brakes.

Right now I have the Hayes on my more all mountain bike and the XT on my XC race bike. My next XC bike will have Hayes.