mtbr member

Hayes Prime Expert salvageable?

Upon inspection I found that my Hayes Prime Expert had one brake piston leaking while the other piston barely moved. Took the entire caliper to my LBS and they looked up parts and said that they could not order just the caliper. The Hayes website also does not list the part. Since I needed my bike to work I bit the bullet and bought a Shimano XT brake. Question is can I somehow salvage the Hayes brake? Are parts available by special order? I think the XTs will be as good or better than the Hayes but when the Hayes worked I had no complaint about them. Since I am also building another bike, saving a $150 brake -- even if only temporarily -- would be nice. Thanks for any insights!

mtbr member
    Chain Reaction has the Prime Expert caliper for about $70:Hayes Caliper Assembly Kit - Prime Expert | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

But I guess you need to decide if it's worthwhile.

Tim

mtbr member
    Thanks Wombat -- the info I needed. I wonder why Hayes does not list it separately. I'll decide wether it's worthwhile after getting some miles on the XTs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have heard of countless satisfied hayes customer service receipients. I would send the brake to hayes and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1 View Post
    I have heard of countless satisfied hayes customer service receipients. I would send the brake to hayes and see what happens.
    I may do that since I have use for extra brakes for a new bike. But the overhead of dealing with any company, even if they do a superb job, for a replacement part is very close to not worth it given that I can just buy the new caliper for $70.
    My front Hayes continues to work fine and I think these type of failures can simply happen. I'd buy Hayes again. But I have to say that the Shimano XT that replaced the Hayes Prime is at least as good or maybe marginally better. It also retails for a higher price. I also wouldn't mind having all my bikes use the same type of brake pads and hydraulic fluid -- but maybe that's just asking for a bit too much....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by borabora View Post
    I may do that since I have use for extra brakes for a new bike. But the overhead of dealing with any company, even if they do a superb job, for a replacement part is very close to not worth it given that I can just buy the new caliper for $70.
    My front Hayes continues to work fine and I think these type of failures can simply happen. I'd buy Hayes again. But I have to say that the Shimano XT that replaced the Hayes Prime is at least as good or maybe marginally better. It also retails for a higher price. I also wouldn't mind having all my bikes use the same type of brake pads and hydraulic fluid -- but maybe that's just asking for a bit too much....
    Give Hayes a call, when I said satisfied customers I was infering free.