mtbr member

Hayes Prime Expert double trouble

I'm new to hydros and love the feel of the Hayes Primes. Last weekend I took my bike down a particularly long and steep descent. I went fairly fast and worked those brakes long and hard. During one stop I could "smell" them for the first time ever. Further down that hilll, I noticed my FRONT brake gradually faded, levers going closer to the bars... so I re-adjusted the dials and continued on down the hill. They continued to fade until the lever was squeezed all the way down to the bar and no more adjustment available...basically leaving me only the back brake. Next day, no improvment.

My question is what happened? I see no signs of leaks anywhere... I use a standard 160 rotors and the rotors are the standard Avid G2. Did I boil the fluid and should use a bigger rotor? If so, does boiling fluid somehow introduce air into the system and brakes now need to be bled ?

In the title I said double trouble... because when I got home and looked at the brakes I notcied the REAR pads were almost completely worn down. My brakes are practically new with 2 months and perhaps 350 miles on them. I basically ride the same trails I rode on my previous bike with BB7s and those pads lasted about 1500 miles before needing replacing.

Are the pads the come standard with the Hayes not that good ? Or are the Avid G2 rotors contributing to premature wear?? Thinking of getting sintered semi-metalic pads as prelacement. Or should I get something else?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sounds like you fried the brakes. There is a reason larger rotors are used up front on anything but race bikes. If your front is not providing the stopping power needed, your rear will wear prematurely.
    I also ran BB7's and the pads lasted forever. Last bike i ran the new XT's , lucky to get 500 mi., more like 350. I'm no lightweight though.
    I have some Prime Expert's coming, so I suppose I'll find out first hand. LOL
    No idea why your brakes aren't working . Good luck

mtbr member
    I did some more research and it does look like I cooked them. Just need to bleed them, I guess. I've got a bleed kit on order. In the meantime I installed a spare set of Formula RxOs and have to tell you that I miss the Hayes Primes... the Primes just feel great.. softer with better modulation. You'll be happy with them.