Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136

    Hayes Pad Replacement

    I need to replace my pads on the rear brake right now. When I replaced the front earlier, i went with the original Hayes pads, but are there any other worthy replacements? They are for XC use, on my crappy MX-1's. The pads are the same as the hydros though. Something that does not squeal would be cool. As well as long life. I am aware of the EBC Gold pads, and i think Koolstop has some too(?).

    Advice?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  2. #2
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I need to replace my pads on the rear brake right now. When I replaced the front earlier, i went with the original Hayes pads, but are there any other worthy replacements? They are for XC use, on my crappy MX-1's. The pads are the same as the hydros though. Something that does not squeal would be cool. As well as long life. I am aware of the EBC Gold pads, and i think Koolstop has some too(?).

    Advice?
    Just a mini rant associated with this. I have a $40 credit for a local sports store (they do bikes, but not exclusively) so i decided to call and see if they had any pads in stock. On the phone the guy said they did. So i hopped on my bike to pick some up. When i get there, it turned out they never did have any. The guy said he checked right "after" i called and found out he did not have any left. What a bum. He said he was ordering in some EBC gold pads and that they would be in within the week. What a waste of a trip. Ticked me off a bit.

    Anyways, should I bother to get the golds when they come in? They are a few bucks cheaper than the Hayes.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Just a mini rant associated with this. I have a $40 credit for a local sports store (they do bikes, but not exclusively) so i decided to call and see if they had any pads in stock. On the phone the guy said they did. So i hopped on my bike to pick some up. When i get there, it turned out they never did have any. The guy said he checked right "after" i called and found out he did not have any left. What a bum. He said he was ordering in some EBC gold pads and that they would be in within the week. What a waste of a trip. Ticked me off a bit.

    Anyways, should I bother to get the golds when they come in? They are a few bucks cheaper than the Hayes.
    I have been runing with the Kool Stops for the past few months. Great modulation and little if any squeal. Even when wet. They appear to be wearing very well. I'm sold on these pads and will definitely put them on again when these wear out.
    Another day in paradise!

  4. #4
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,169
    I am running EBC Reds in my front. Seems good, has better bite and modulation in my opinion.

    They seem to be wearing well to, probably won't last as well as the original sintered items though (They lasted ages).

    Only odities were that the retaining spring let the pads rattle. I just swapped the original springs over. Also they had a pulsing sensation, but that seems to have disappeared with a good few miles on them now.

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,157
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I need to replace my pads on the rear brake right now. When I replaced the front earlier, i went with the original Hayes pads, but are there any other worthy replacements? They are for XC use, on my crappy MX-1's. The pads are the same as the hydros though. Something that does not squeal would be cool. As well as long life. I am aware of the EBC Gold pads, and i think Koolstop has some too(?).

    Advice?

    I have used the stock Hayes, EBC, and Koolstops. I like the hayes best because they come with replacement retaining springs. The Koolstops work well if you salvage the springs.

    If you are based in Canada you can get the Koolstops for a very good price from MEC

    TJ

  6. #6
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I have used the stock Hayes, EBC, and Koolstops. I like the hayes best because they come with replacement retaining springs. The Koolstops work well if you salvage the springs.

    If you are based in Canada you can get the Koolstops for a very good price from MEC

    TJ
    Are the Hayes the only ones with the spring included?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,157
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Are the Hayes the only ones with the spring included?

    I believe so, but it has been over a year since I have purchased a set of hayes as I have switched to Magura.......

  8. #8
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Are the Hayes the only ones with the spring included?
    My EBCs came with springs. Both the reds and the greens (I haven't used the greens yet). But its crap comparesd to the original spring.

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    252
    I have tried others, but have come back to using the original hayes pads: they just last longer and are no fuss.

    EBC red: great power, lasted 2 days at whistler dhing.

    EBC gold: poor modulation, less power, squeal like crazy, overheat discs fast, wear like iron.

    Hayes semi metalic pads wore out too fast for my liking.

  10. #10
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136

    Got Hayes

    Just for the record, I picked up the Hayes Semi-Metalic pads. Right off the bat, they seem pretty grippy, coming from the worn origionals.

    What sucks is that the inner pad adjustment knob on my brakes is seized, so my adjustment options are a little limited. Forces me to replace the pads a little prematurely. I can make adjustments by moving the caliper side to side on the mounts a bit. But the HMX-1's are a story I have discussed before....Crap.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I need to replace my pads on the rear brake right now. When I replaced the front earlier, i went with the original Hayes pads, but are there any other worthy replacements? They are for XC use, on my crappy MX-1's. The pads are the same as the hydros though. Something that does not squeal would be cool. As well as long life. I am aware of the EBC Gold pads, and i think Koolstop has some too(?).

    Advice?
    Sintered original hayes? I'm thinking that next time, these softer pads wear a LOT.. :S

  12. #12
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Poetic_Dancer
    Sintered original hayes? I'm thinking that next time, these softer pads wear a LOT.. :S
    Not sure what you are really asking.

    I don't know what pads came with my brakes, but they seemed to last a good amount of time.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Not sure what you are really asking.

    I don't know what pads came with my brakes, but they seemed to last a good amount of time.
    Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. This link explains the difference;
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/friction.html

  14. #14
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Poetic_Dancer
    Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. This link explains the difference;
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/friction.html
    thanks for the link.

    My brakes came with the semi metallics. I have the sinistered pads in the front, and semi metallic in the back now.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

Similar Threads

  1. Hayes MX2 pad equivalent ...
    By willtsmith_nwi in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
  2. Hayes Nine pad replacement - Help
    By freeriderB in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 03:16 PM
  3. Avid brake pad replacement alternatives?
    By jdcamb in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 10:39 AM
  4. Replacement levers for Hayes discs?
    By Gear Grinder! in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 12:16 PM
  5. Adjustable replacement levers for Hayes brakes?
    By Steve71 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •