Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hayes Pad Replacement

808 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  rkj__ 
#1 ·
I need to replace my pads on the rear brake right now. When I replaced the front earlier, i went with the original Hayes pads, but are there any other worthy replacements? They are for XC use, on my crappy MX-1's. The pads are the same as the hydros though. Something that does not squeal would be cool. As well as long life. I am aware of the EBC Gold pads, and i think Koolstop has some too(?).

Advice?

#2 ·
rkj__ said:
I need to replace my pads on the rear brake right now. When I replaced the front earlier, i went with the original Hayes pads, but are there any other worthy replacements? They are for XC use, on my crappy MX-1's. The pads are the same as the hydros though. Something that does not squeal would be cool. As well as long life. I am aware of the EBC Gold pads, and i think Koolstop has some too(?).

Advice?
Just a mini rant associated with this. I have a $40 credit for a local sports store (they do bikes, but not exclusively) so i decided to call and see if they had any pads in stock. On the phone the guy said they did. So i hopped on my bike to pick some up. When i get there, it turned out they never did have any. The guy said he checked right "after" i called and found out he did not have any left. What a bum. :mad: He said he was ordering in some EBC gold pads and that they would be in within the week. What a waste of a trip. Ticked me off a bit.

Anyways, should I bother to get the golds when they come in? They are a few bucks cheaper than the Hayes.

#3 ·
rkj__ said:
Just a mini rant associated with this. I have a $40 credit for a local sports store (they do bikes, but not exclusively) so i decided to call and see if they had any pads in stock. On the phone the guy said they did. So i hopped on my bike to pick some up. When i get there, it turned out they never did have any. The guy said he checked right "after" i called and found out he did not have any left. What a bum. :mad: He said he was ordering in some EBC gold pads and that they would be in within the week. What a waste of a trip. Ticked me off a bit.

Anyways, should I bother to get the golds when they come in? They are a few bucks cheaper than the Hayes.
I have been runing with the Kool Stops for the past few months. Great modulation and little if any squeal. Even when wet. They appear to be wearing very well. I'm sold on these pads and will definitely put them on again when these wear out.

#4 ·
I am running EBC Reds in my front. Seems good, has better bite and modulation in my opinion.

They seem to be wearing well to, probably won't last as well as the original sintered items though (They lasted ages).

Only odities were that the retaining spring let the pads rattle. I just swapped the original springs over. Also they had a pulsing sensation, but that seems to have disappeared with a good few miles on them now.

Stu

#5 ·
rkj__ said:

Advice?
I have used the stock Hayes, EBC, and Koolstops. I like the hayes best because they come with replacement retaining springs. The Koolstops work well if you salvage the springs.

If you are based in Canada you can get the Koolstops for a very good price from MEC

TJ

#6 ·
006_007 said:
I have used the stock Hayes, EBC, and Koolstops. I like the hayes best because they come with replacement retaining springs. The Koolstops work well if you salvage the springs.

If you are based in Canada you can get the Koolstops for a very good price from MEC

TJ
Are the Hayes the only ones with the spring included?

#9 ·
I have tried others, but have come back to using the original hayes pads: they just last longer and are no fuss.

EBC red: great power, lasted 2 days at whistler dhing.

EBC gold: poor modulation, less power, squeal like crazy, overheat discs fast, wear like iron.

Hayes semi metalic pads wore out too fast for my liking.

#10 ·
Got Hayes

Just for the record, I picked up the Hayes Semi-Metalic pads. Right off the bat, they seem pretty grippy, coming from the worn origionals.

What sucks is that the inner pad adjustment knob on my brakes is seized, so my adjustment options are a little limited. Forces me to replace the pads a little prematurely. I can make adjustments by moving the caliper side to side on the mounts a bit. But the HMX-1's are a story I have discussed before....Crap.

#11 ·
rkj__ said:

Advice?
Sintered original hayes? I'm thinking that next time, these softer pads wear a LOT.. :S

#12 ·
Poetic_Dancer said:
Sintered original hayes? I'm thinking that next time, these softer pads wear a LOT.. :S
Not sure what you are really asking.

I don't know what pads came with my brakes, but they seemed to last a good amount of time.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.