Formerly NattyBoh74...

hayes nine's problems???

i was reading on another forum maybe ride monkey and they said something about the nines have problems? i am wanting to go to another brake but im a poor college student haha so these will have to do for now. are there any mods that have or can be done to help extend the life of brakes. or levers.. i cannot remember where the problem was.... if there is a problem..

mtbr member
    May 2007

Many.....

Opinions, but few who can actually describe what they don't like.

If they're working fine for you then why worry.

Web forums are rarely a source of accurate information. Many of the negative comments you'll get about 9's are from those produced 5-6 years ago.

Go ride.

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    str8 thanks.

Meh.
    The 9s are still the same brakes... And they're still terrible... Poor modulation and build quality.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Will, you seem to really like the Mag Master cylinder over the Nines, please explain the
    difference. They both have the same caliper, hose, MC piston, lever pivot distance and lever shape. Why would one have better modulation?

Meh.
    Internals are different. Is it really that hard to understand? Both that Civic and that S2000 have wheels, brakes, and an engine. Why would one be a better handling car than the other?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    "Is it really that hard to understand?"

Not really I do, the "internals" as you call them are the design except for the reservoir size. Just a different package to lower the cost thus a lower pricepoint. Both brakes have the same "modulation".

Meh.
    What?

Yes, the 9 is produced to meet a lower price point, quality suffers. What are you saying about modulation?

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    damn.. no need to bash me lol. so what should i get rid of or upgrade? the lever? or the caliper? everything?

Former Bike Wrench
    The HFX-Mag and HFX-9 have the exact same caliper...there is no difference in them...I've rebuilt plenty of Hayes calipers and the G2 is the G2. The difference is in the levers and master cylinder. The Mags do have a superior lever and master cylinder, but the 9's have greatly improved since their introduction in 2003. They offer very good modulation and control (I've also owned two sets of Mags and Avid BB7 mechanicals). My first set were somewhat troublesome (2003 models) but my current set (2005) have been pretty good. I did have a sticking piston problem, but again that was in the caliper and is really not a 9's specific problem.

squish is good
    I've got the 2005 nines and they work great for what they are. Theres always gonna be something better but I use mine for All Mountain use and have no reason to pay out the nose for a better set until these ones break. As a fellow poor college student my plan is to wear out every piece of equipment before it gets considered for upgrading.

MTBR Demi-God
    I have no idea about the construction of Hayes 9 or Mags, but based on my experience of using them, I would rather stick with Mags, than with 9. I have felt that with the Hayes 9, either you have full engagement, or no engagement- nothing in between.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by mroneeyedboh
    damn.. no need to bash me lol. so what should i get rid of or upgrade? the lever? or the caliper? everything?
    The comment was not directed towards you. Rather towards the other poster.

Working at a shop, I see way too many problems with the 9s. There are less issues with the Mags, but still have to deal with occasional leaky calipers and sticky pistons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The HFX-Mag and HFX-9 have the exact same caliper...there is no difference in them...I've rebuilt plenty of Hayes calipers and the G2 is the G2. The difference is in the levers and master cylinder. The Mags do have a superior lever and master cylinder, but the 9's have greatly improved since their introduction in 2003. They offer very good modulation and control (I've also owned two sets of Mags and Avid BB7 mechanicals). My first set were somewhat troublesome (2003 models) but my current set (2005) have been pretty good. I did have a sticking piston problem, but again that was in the caliper and is really not a 9's specific problem.
    I have the 9s and I have no issues with the modulation of the brakes, but can only compare them to my bikes with V-brakes. They are much more controllable/ less "grabby" than V-brakes. They do seem to lack a bit of power though, but I'm running a 29er. I upsized the front rotor to 7" and that gave me a bit more power. I was going to trade them out for Juicys, but with all the complaints of pulsation and turkey gobbling, I figured it wasn't worth the risk of inheriting a new problems that Hayes brakes don't seem to have.

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    i am also running larger rotors. im using both 8 in front and rear. but like most of the convos go around here. i dont see the need for the 8in in the rear. but tho it has helped me to str8n the rear at times....

banned
    Sep 2005
    The 9s are really not too great. Very on/off feel, very little lever adjustability and a rather unfriendly lever shape.