mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Hayes Nines not working well

I have Hayes Nine brakes with 8" rotors on one of my bikes, and they don't work very well. I have the levers where I want them, and have plenty of leverage. I have Avid BB7s with 6" rotors on another bike, and i think they grab much better (this shouldn't be the case, right?). I have centered the calipers, cleaned rotors and replaced pads (and broke them in well). Would bleeding them help?

mtbr member
    Have checked for the pistons on both sides of the disc moving when applying the brakes? This tripped me up for a while recently. Watch for both pads moving toward the disc at the same time when squeezing the lever. If they don't, pull the pads and try cleaning the piston bores with isopropyl alcohol.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem. They just started to not feel right and not stop well. I looked and noticed the pistons were not comming out at the same rate. I took the calipers appart and cleaned everything up. Put them back together and they work great again. Bleeding is very easy. I didnt need a rebuild kit just took them apart and carefully cleaned everything. You tube has a good video on how take the calliper apart and get the piston out. Very easy to do. Once you get the calliper separated just use compresed air to pop out the piston.

Good luck.
    Last edited by geinsteder; 09-09-2009 at 04:35 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Can the different bikes contribute to the different feel of the brakes? Even on my own bike, I've perceived different "bite" based on how my rear suspension was set up.

geinsteder: Thanks for your reply. I am currently experiencing the uneven caliper movement myself and was wondering if they might need to be cleaned somehow. Do you recall exactly which video you used as a guide?

mtbr member
    I went back you tube trying to find it for you and couldnt find the same one. If you are even some what good with tools and fixing your own bike you should be able to get it done with out a problem. I tried to just clean them with out taking them apart but it wasnt enough. The only specialty tool would be a compreessor for the compressed air.
    Just take it appart by the two allen bolts. Once appart dont loose the small O ring seal that is sandwiched between the two halfs. After that cover the piston with a rag or somthing so when you blow the piston out it doesnt shoot across the room. Take the compressed air and blow it into the hole that the O ring was in. This will pop out the piston. From their just gently clean the parts or if you have a rebuild kit replace the seals. Than just put it back together. As long as nothing is damaged you should be ok. It worked out for me. If it didnt I would have bought a rebuild kit and replaced the seals. Bleeding the system is even easier. I have found this model hayes is the easiest brake to bleed.
    Good luck The way I looked at it was I didnt have much to loose.