mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Hayes nine, spongy

I pulled the bike out for the first time after winter, I think I had brake pressure on the front for the first stroke, after that it went to the bars with no pressure. I didn't find any leaks, I found a vid on line that showed how to bleed the Hayes nine. I did like the vid showed, the brake lever still goes to the bars (or to the stop) but now I have some pressure, but not like I should.

What's up with this?

I went through the bleed steps again with no change in pressure.
    2006 Trek Elite 9.8
    2007 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    bleed again or system is leaking or air is getting in somehow

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    did u check to make sure the levers and the lever body have all the screws and are tight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, everything is there and tight. I don't know, I'm thinking a seal must have gone bad while in storage. If I can't figure it out, I'll take it to the dealer.
    2006 Trek Elite 9.8
    2007 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    that would my guess as well if its full of fluid and no air im guessing that the piston is not doing its job

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Similar thing happened to my brakes. Bike's been sitting for about 4 months now, and now the rear brake lever goes all the way to the bar. Front is absolutely perfect, but the rear grabs just a tiny bit before the lever bottoms out. Hopefully bleeding it will take care of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I brought it to the dealer, they said just need to bleed the system. They are booked for now, have to bring it back in 2 weeks, so I have until then to try to do it myself. I've bled the brakes 7 times with no change. I wonder what I'm doing wrong?
    2006 Trek Elite 9.8
    2007 Trek 4300