mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Hayes Nine Rear Cliper Leaking

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum but not new to mt biking or forums in general. Although I am a newb, I tried searching around for a few days to find the answer I am looking for with no luck. If I happened to miss a thread and someone can point me in the right direction, that would be most appreciated.

Here is the promblem. I recently bought a used (new to me) iron horse sunday that has a set of hayes nine rear brakes. everything was working fine, but I decided to get it tuned up and cleaned before my first DH on the new rig.

after getting the bike back from the shop, it will not stop leaking fluid. with no fluid, no pressure, you get the point, no rear brake.

I am planned to go DH'ing in the next week or two, and need to get this bike back in service. I really do not want to spend another 150ish for a rear brake, so im looking for the advice of you bikie gurus out there.

The shop I have been taking it to, (great service in reston VA), has been a big help. They said that there are no seals or gaskets, the caliper is machined so tightly that it should seal properly when screwed in to not allow any leaks. Coming from a long history of buidling and restoring brakes on cars, this makes little sense to me. I feel there should be some sort of gasket around the piston or cylinder in order to prevent leaking.

Does anyone have any thoughts about different ways to approach this? They have been bled, and leaked out 3 times already, so no use in trying that again. I am in desparate need as I am going biking (hopefully) this weekend. I turn to you for help as I am constantly

Cheers everyone, safe riding

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_Iron
    Hello everyone,

The shop I have been taking it to, (great service in reston VA), has been a big help. They said that there are no seals or gaskets, the caliper is machined so tightly that it should seal properly when screwed in to not allow any leaks.

Cheers everyone, safe riding
    There are seals. I can't believe that anyone told that to you! Look for hayes g2 rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thanks for the reply. i called hayes and did a little searching after your post and I too think it is the seals. I ordered the rebuild kit that you mentioned.

can any one give me a little insight into the difficulty of rebuilding the brakes on these calipers? I am a newb when it comes to bike tech, but I have bled and rebuilt brembo brakes on my "race" car, so I can apply what little knowledge that is transferable from that.

thanks agaain!

cheers