mtbr member
    May 2009

Hayes nine grating

Has anyone else had a problem with their brake caliper housing chinging off the front disk?

The disk runs true between the calipers... when I lift the bike up and spin the wheel no ching / grate.

Soon as is start to ride it off it goes ching, ching, ching!

Its really f****in annoying as its a brand new bike and I can't begin understand why its happening. Even my mate who is pretty clued up on bikes is lost as to why its happening.

I doubt its relevant but its a Marin quake with marocchi bomber forks and hayes nine brakes.

Any info would be great.

Meh.
    Yes. When the front end flexes, the rotor will deflect off the pads. You can try to recenter the brakes more carefully. The noise may get better as it breaks in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If it goes ching ching the rotor is not true.A good shop can fix that in about a minute.About why it is quiet when not riding.The rotor is out of true and is missing hitting the pads by a thousandth of an inch. When you get on the bike a little flex in the fork is making a difference.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Its as straight as a straight thing and dead centre. Its something else causing it. something is flexing. Going to take it to a good bike mechanic and see if he has ssen it before.