Carb free mofo
    Dec 2006

Hayes nine ghetto bleed?

Has anyone done a ghetto bleed for the Hayes nine brakes?

I'm not willing to spend 20 on a bleed kit: http://www.hotlines-uk.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8384 This is extortionate!

Would it be possible to use an old olive connected to a bit of plastic tube for the lever part?

For the Caliper 'plug'I am under the impression that you can just slot the plastic tube onto it?

Grumble: I can't believe they charge this sort of money for 'kits'. The Avid one is even more pricey and compared to motorbike brakes, the avid's feel overcomplicated? Lot's off toing and froing, when motorbike brakes take less than 10 mins to bleed. Fking joke!
    In the future, there is only war.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazylogic
    Has anyone done a ghetto bleed for the Hayes nine brakes?

I'm not willing to spend 20 on a bleed kit: http://www.hotlines-uk.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8384 This is extortionate!

Would it be possible to use an old olive connected to a bit of plastic tube for the lever part?

For the Caliper 'plug'I am under the impression that you can just slot the plastic tube onto it?

Grumble: I can't believe they charge this sort of money for 'kits'. The Avid one is even more pricey and compared to motorbike brakes, the avid's feel overcomplicated? Lot's off toing and froing, when motorbike brakes take less than 10 mins to bleed. Fking joke!

Off the top of my head, I am not sure what you could use in place of the lever fitting. But I am sure that a creative individual could find something. The fitting only goes into the MC 3/16" ish for reference.
    And you are right that the tubing just slips over the bleed fitting on the caliper.

Here is a pic of the fitting close up and you can also buy it alone for cheap!
    http://www.bikeman.com/BR4335.html?u...ign=GoogleBase

Also a syringe for pushing fluid on the caliper is a nice touch and I use my avid syringe for that. It's much more cenvenient than using the stupid bottle Hayes provides with their kit.
    At the lever I just run the tubing from the lever into a 20oz coke bottle with a hole drilled into it to catch the old fluid. Get a piece of metal clothes hanger and make a hook that holds the bottle onto the handlebar.

Meh.
    Syringe, aquarium air line tubing, and a cable end with the tip cut off to fit in the MC bleed port.

Carb free mofo
    Dec 2006
    cheers guys.

They don't sell the fitting seperately in rip-off uk!
    In the future, there is only war.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    When the hayes brakes first came out, I remember my buddies at norco had a really cool set up, although there was no old fluid involved as they were just setting up new bikes, but you may like thier technique.
    They actually had a large bladder of fluid hanging above the bike, ( overkill at home but you get the idea, and you would have to remove as much old fluid as you could first)
    Then they would push fluid from the caliper with a syringe, till the syringe was almost empty, and fluid was pushing into the bladder.
    Then draw fluid back through the whole system, at the caliper, from the bladder. Worked every time. You could of course push and pull like hayes says, just to be sure, but all the same system in the end.
    When I ran hayes I would always set the lever reach where I liked it, and push the pistons in PRIOR to bleeding, and then put a busness card on either side of the rotor, between the pads, and then pump the lever, when FINISHED. The busness card thing, seems to set the amount of fluid in the MC, to give a bit more lever travel, which the early hayes did not have, maybe the 9's are different, although all of the parts sure look the same,