Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. Hayes Mechanical Vs. Avid Mechanical

I'm going to be purchasing a Gary Fisher Marlin DISC, it comes with Hayes Mechinical brakes (MX-2 I think) and it has Tektro levers.. I asked about changing these to Avid Mech (BB5) and they said that they can replace the brakes and routors for $40 extra, and then I would use my Deore levers from my old bike..

EDIT: THAT $40 IS CANADIAN

Does this sound like a good idea or is this not neccessary, from what I understand the Avids would be a better brake.

Thanks

Freshly Fujified

Go one more step

Have the LBS install BB 7's. You gate a bit more flexibility on adjustments.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Have the LBS install BB 7's. You gate a bit more flexibility on adjustments.

Bob

Ummm, thanks for the reply, but that doesn't really answer my question. Does that mean don't bother unless you go with the BB7's?

What would the price difference be between the BB5's and BB7's? I'm on a budget here and can't afford to add much more to the cost of the bike.

willtsmith_nwi

BB5 almost the same as BB7

Quote Originally Posted by Turt99
    Ummm, thanks for the reply, but that doesn't really answer my question. Does that mean don't bother unless you go with the BB7's?

What would the price difference be between the BB5's and BB7's? I'm on a budget here and can't afford to add much more to the cost of the bike.
    The advantage of the BB7 is the pad contact point adjustment. Without that, a BB5 is basically the same thing as the MX-2.

Ask for the BB7, otherwise, you'll be paying for what is essentially a lateral move.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks willtsmith_nwi, thats the kind of information I was looking for, I'll see what the LBS has in terms of Avids.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Agreed. Get the BB7 or don't bother. The BB5 is less adjustable in setup and in use. Also uses different, harder to find pads
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Agreed. Get the BB7 or don't bother. The BB5 is less adjustable in setup and in use. Also uses different, harder to find pads
    Thanks for all the replies, well I talked to the LBS last night, and the $40 CAN upgrade would have been the BB5's, so I asked about the BB7's and they looked it up and to have them added it would be $100 CAN, for that price difference I decided that I would just stick with the Hayes Mechanicals that come stock.

So in the end I left the deposit for the bike (Gary Fisher Marlin DISC) and the shop will be putting on Shimano 505 Clipless petals at no extra charge.

Just an update on my final decision.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Is that your FINAL final decision?

1. Consider selling the Hayes on eBay as new, then using those proceeds to fund your Avid purchase. Seriously, the extra adjustments and simplicity of the Avids are well worth it.

2. Never look a gift horse in the mouth they say, but the 505 pedals blow. I might have rethought my switch to clipless if I had to learn on those. Shimano's new low-end 520 pedals have the crisp, clean feel that a clipless pedal should have.

"El Whatever"
    Thanks for all the replies, well I talked to the LBS last night, and the $40 CAN upgrade would have been the BB5's, so I asked about the BB7's and they looked it up and to have them added it would be $100 CAN, for that price difference I decided that I would just stick with the Hayes Mechanicals that come stock.

So in the end I left the deposit for the bike (Gary Fisher Marlin DISC) and the shop will be putting on Shimano 505 Clipless petals at no extra charge.

Just an update on my final decision.
    Listen to Nate, Clyde, Shiggy and the others... but another valid option (especially if you're not heavy) are the Shimano Deore BR-M515-LA... nice brake. Not as powerful as the Avid but better than the Hayes. And as cheap as the BB5's.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for your Honest Opinions.

Well its sorta my final decision, I did put a deposit on the bike the way it was. But, I still haven't taken the bike home so I'm sure I still have the option to change things that I feel I need to..

For the brakes, I'm a big guy 6' 1" and 250lbs, so I feel that I should have a nice brake. Having said that I would really like to move to the Avid BB7's but the $100 CAN sorta puts things out of my price range, now maybe before I pick it up I'll be able to afford them and then I might just go for it (however the LBS would need to order them in and I'd have to wait longer hehe) Selling the Hayes and using that for the Avids wouldn't really work because they are already giving me the value of the hayes towards the Avid BB7's and the difference for them would be $100 CAN this is the routers and brakes themselves (I will be using my Deore V-Brake levers)

For the petals, hrmm I did figure the 505's would be low end because they are the OEM product that comes on the bikes just above mine. But I didn't think they would be that bad, I used a cheap set of wellgo's to learn on years ago, and I figured they would be atleast that good. I might ask about another pair that they showed me in the display case to see what model they are, but I'm not too worried about the petals, I would rather put more into the brakes now then to the petals. I'm thinking petals would be cheaper to upgrade later.

EDIT: I just looked at the shimano website, and the ones that they originally pointed too in the display case where the 520's but then when they picked out the petals to go on the bike they pulled 505's out of a drawer, they would probably from a bike that someone upgraded on because they didn't have a box, I might ask about that.
    Last edited by Turt99; 05-12-2005 at 10:26 AM.

You didn't describe the terrain you'll be riding, but at 250 pounds, if you've got any decent descents in your future, you'll want to consider a 185mm front rotor. It's not so much for the extra power (my 165mm rotors stopped me just fine when I weighed slightly less than 240 pounds), but for the increased heat dissipation that the extra rotor material provides. Hot brakes sing a loud song.

If you're already comfortable riding clipless, nevermind what I said. The 505s are neither smooth nor confidence inspiring, but as long as you're not just starting out on them, you ought to do fine.

I've got Shimano's old 535 pedals on two of my bikes, which is what I learned on and represents Shimano's last great pedal until the 959/540/520 series was introduced.

But I've also got a pair of flip/flop 324 pedals, which share a binding mechanism with the 515 and 505, and they're a sticky, uninspiring mess. They're sometimes a chore to clip in to, and feel like gum on the sole when clipping out. I imagine that the 505s and 515s cost Shimano many customers over the years who either switched to other brands or went back to platforms.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Nate,

I'm mosting going to be riding XC not many really big hills, and not really much aggressive stuff to start. I'm just getting back into all this.

For the brakes like I said if I can swing it before I take the bike home I will consider having the LBS order some BB7's for me, its hard to say if it will make $100 CAN difference or not in the bike, but I've heard good thing about Avids (almost only good things). If the budget won't allow the upgrade I'm sure I'll be happy enough with the Hayes for the time being.

For the petals I might ask them about the 520's but I don't think I'll press the issue, just more of a curiousity thing. I was thinking about trying the Time clipless petals but I didn't really have room in the budget for something like that so it will be Shimano untill I can look into something else later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    So how many people think that the BB7's are worth the $100 CAN upgrade from the Hayes MX-2's?

Basically should I work as hard as I can to get the funds for the upgrade or will I be fine with the Hayes? The way I see it, right now its a $100 CAN upgrade but if I ride with the Hayes then the trade in is gone and I'm looking at more like $300 CAN on the upgrade.

I still don't know for sure if they will fit in the budget but if I really think I need them then maybe I'll delay the pickup date untill I can get them.

"El Whatever"
    So how many people think that the BB7's are worth the $100 CAN upgrade from the Hayes MX-2's?

Basically should I work as hard as I can to get the funds for the upgrade or will I be fine with the Hayes? The way I see it, right now its a $100 CAN upgrade but if I ride with the Hayes then the trade in is gone and I'm looking at more like $300 CAN on the upgrade.

I still don't know for sure if they will fit in the budget but if I really think I need them then maybe I'll delay the pickup date untill I can get them.
    If you're riding flats you'll be fine with a 8" rotor up front... and you can fit one to your Hayes.

I haven't been on the Hayes to be honest and neither the BB5's. But if you can, delay the pickup date and drop the 100CAN on the BB7. They're worthy. Maybe you can even throw 120-130 for the 185F / 160R like Nate said.

As you mentioned before, it's up to you. But it's sensible to delay the pickup if you can have the Avids for dirt cheap. Upgrading them can go up to 300CAN. And believe me, you'll hardly find any REAL reason to upgrade from the BB7's to hydros. They're just THAT good.
    Check my Site

willtsmith_nwi

The value of BB7

Considering that BB7s are $70(American) per axel from Pricepoint, the fact that you can swap out the MX-2s for this is an excellent bargain. If I had this option (and foreknowledge) I would have taken it.

On an MX-2 the only way to adjust the outboard pad is to either slacken the cable or reset the caliper. It's kinda a pain (though I still prefer it to rim brakes). The inboard pay adjuster is accessed via allen key that must be passed through the spokes. The BB7 has manual hand adjustment via large flat knobs on either side of the caliper. This makes adjustment for pad where very easy.

Just remember that the bike shop will be unable to sell the MX-2s they strip off your bike. They'll probably have to use them as upgrade incentives to sell V-brake bikes on their floor (swag).

Also, remember realize that getting pads for the Avid discs will be easier than getting pads for the MX-2 (though this will get easier as the MX-2 (and Sole) brake is proliferating rapidly).

I strongly recommend taking this sweetheart upgrade.

Freshly Fujified

Well worth the money

I doubt you'll be disappointed. Given your size, I say this makes the decision that much more important. I was 250, now 230, and have 7" BB7's front and rear. I do mostly XC, but the trails I ride have some nice technical downhills. I want no question in my mind that my bike is going to stop when I need it to, and with the BB7's, I have no worries.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

All good points.

There is a very good reason the Avid ball bearing disc brake is still with us, mostly unchanged from its introduction in late 1999.

There is a very good reason there are over 560 reviews posted, with an 4.6 average rating.

There is a very good reason that in all the "Hydro vs. Cable" posts, the Avid is usually the default cable operated brake mentioned.

Avid did their homework on this brake and it has stood the test of time, even as other cable and hydro units come and go with the seasons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well would you look at that everyone has returned with their final statements, and I'll have to tell you guy I'm convinced that the BB7's are the brakes that I want to put on my bike, now I just need to convince my budget to open a little room and everything will be fine.

I've got till the end of the month (my birthday) to round up all the funds that I can and then I will be heading back to my LBS to pay the remainder of the bike (I put the deposit so they didn't run out of stock after I decided what I wanted). So I'll be squeezing every last penny untill then.

Once again thanks to everyone for all your help in my decision, I'll be sure to post pictures of the final product when I have it in my hands.

"El Whatever"
    Well would you look at that everyone has returned with their final statements, and I'll have to tell you guy I'm convinced that the BB7's are the brakes that I want to put on my bike, now I just need to convince my budget to open a little room and everything will be fine.

I've got till the end of the month (my birthday) to round up all the funds that I can and then I will be heading back to my LBS to pay the remainder of the bike (I put the deposit so they didn't run out of stock after I decided what I wanted). So I'll be squeezing every last penny untill then.

Once again thanks to everyone for all your help in my decision, I'll be sure to post pictures of the final product when I have it in my hands.
    Godspeed!

Keep pics coming!
    Check my Site

R.I.P. DogFriend
    They don't currently have them listed on their website, but you could call Supergo and see if the have any more of the Ritchey V3 Comp clipless pedals left for $25. I have them on two of my bikes and they are excellent. I'm bigger and taller than you and have no problems with them. I saw some of the V3 Pros (they are going for $30, but list at $100) in one of their local stores last weekend. Either one would be fine.

That should give you some extra funds to go towards the BB7's as advised. I have the 8" Avid Mechanicals and they are stellar stoppers. They stop me better than either of my previous 6" hydraulic systems ever dreamed of.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Thanks for the option Jeffj, but there is a small issue with that, being that I'm in Canada and Supergo seems to be a US store I would get nailed with currency exchange and shipping so I don't know it would end up being that great of a deal in the end.

Also the LBS has treated me very well so far (my brother actually used to work there) so I don't feel the need to take my business else where, they aren't giving me employee discount or anything but they are being quite fair with me.

Lazy People Suck
    I really don't think that the power of the Hayes Mechanical brakes is significantly different than the Avid Mechanicals. The Avids are much easier to adjust, but once set up the Hayes work acceptably well. I have both the Hayes Mech (MX1s) and Avid Mech Z (as well as Hayes Hydros, Magura Louise, and an old set of Formula Activas still working).

At your weight, I would spend the money on the 8" rotor before changing to the Avids. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the Avids but would not pay a ton extra for it.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quick Question about the rotor sizes, if you start with a 6" rotor and you want to move to a 8" is the actual brake any different or do you just need to replace the rotor itself and the mounting bracket?

Freshly Fujified
    Quick Question about the rotor sizes, if you start with a 6" rotor and you want to move to a 8" is the actual brake any different or do you just need to replace the rotor itself and the mounting bracket?
    You won't need to replace the caliper, just the rotor and the mounting bracket.

Bob

Fremen

Smile Great post!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    All good points.

There is a very good reason the Avid ball bearing disc brake is still with us, mostly unchanged from its introduction in late 1999.

There is a very good reason there are over 560 reviews posted, with an 4.6 average rating.

There is a very good reason that in all the "Hydro vs. Cable" posts, the Avid is usually the default cable operated brake mentioned.

Avid did their homework on this brake and it has stood the test of time, even as other cable and hydro units come and go with the seasons.
    I AGEE 100%
    [size=2]*Riding without internal combustion since 1991*[/size]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast