SSientist
    Sep 2006

Hayes Mags Problems

I have had my Hayes Mags for approx 1 year and I can pull the lever almost all the way to the grip. I have bled them myself, as well as two different shops. Everyone is telling me the same thing " that is how they are supposed to feel" which I think is bullsh*t. I have also tried tightining the screw right under the lever to bring the lever itself out from the grip. If someone knows anything about this problem please help.
    Thanks,
    Aaron
    What do you get when you cross an elephant and a grape?

elephantgrapesintheta

Meh.
    Each time it's bled, does more air come out? Inspect the system for any leaks or wet spots. Sometimes the hose develops an internal leak. Sometimes the MC goes out, and it's internal bypass. Check around the pistons for wetness. Make sure all the fittings are nice and snug. Make sure that there is no leaking, seeping, or wetness between the caliper halves, etc.

Try bleeding one more time, but don't use the squeeze bottle. Just take a syringe, fill it up with DOT fluid, connect it to the rubber pipe, attach to the bleed nipple. Attach the bleed fitting to the MC, make sure there are no air bubbles in the clear rubber pipe or in the syringe, open the bleed nipple, and just push the fluid all the way through until no more air comes out. Close the nipple before you empty out the syringe. Use a decent sized syringe, so you can make sure that you don't run out of fluid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Also your mag needs to be tilted forward at about a 45 degree angle to insure that you remove all of the trapped air. If your dont do this you will not get a good bleed.