mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Hayes Mag vs. Mag Plus - any experiences?

Okay, so building a new bike. I have easiest access to Hayes and (some) Avid products. Next comes Magura, then comes everything else. Of course I'd love to use juicys, but I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but because of the SRAM buyout, production is moving to Asia from Italy, and they will not be available again until September.

I'm highly considering Hayes mags or the Mag plus models. I've gotten my hands on them (in the box) but not ridden either. I have some past experience with the HFX-comp models on a past bike. Can anyone compare or contrast the Mag vs the Mag-plus? I'm cool with the price difference, it's not that bad. Advantages for the mag plus is a hair of weight (not the biggest concern on this bike) and they just look schnazz.

Are they mechanically similar? Would anybody go as far as to say that they work (feel, modulate, power) the same? Would you say that one is functionally better than the other, given the same size and type of rotor and pads? Reccomendations on rotors and pads are also welcome.

Thanks much guyz. John.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmyster99

Are they mechanically similar?

Thanks much guyz. John.
    Yes both brakes use the same internals. The difference is The Mag Plus uses carbon levers, Titanium hardware, a wave rotor and 368g vs 418g for six inch rotor kits.
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

humm

well, I kinda knew that much. guess I was lookin for more feedback on either really.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmyster99
    well, I kinda knew that much. guess I was lookin for more feedback on either really.
    Since you have had experience with Hayes Comp, the HFX Mag brakes are the same except the Comp has a plastic lever housing and the calipers are not painted. Your performance will be the same on the Hayes Comp or the Mag but the Mag will have a stronger lever body and not break as easy as the plastic housing. I have been using the Hayes Mag for 3 years of DH racing and they have good stopping power. Make sure you check your pads for excessive wear as this would greatly reduce your stopping power. I can get about 1-1/2 years of life on the original sintered pads. Once the pads start wearing at a angle replace them because the pad contact surface will be reduced and your braking power substanually decreased. The pads will wear out faster on the part that contacts the outer portion of the diameter of the rotor because of the higher surface speed, this is also where most of your braking power comes from due to the higher leverage advantage. Parts are easy to get for when you crash and break parts.
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

mtbr remember
    I have never used the Mag-plus (carbon is not my first choice for lever blades!), but I have the HFXMAGs on one of my bikes right now and they are excellent brakes, esp from a durability and ease of use point of view. Parts should be about the easiest to find of any hydros. The magplus brakes should feel exactly the same as all the others, like was mentioned- internals are the same, only weight and look is the difference. Some may say the mudcutter rotors will function better in wet conditions, because they are supposed to scrape away mud from the pads. I personally would just get the regular mags (tried and trusted by many) and get some Bonz 2finger levers (beefy and they have ridges on the blade for extra grip), if you like the "mudcutter" rotors, get the Hope Gothic rotors that are compatible w/Hayes (the coolest looking rotors out) and you will have an excellent setup. You will be pissed when you end up spending and extra $40 initially for the pluses, then have to spend another $60 when you snap your levers, when you can get the cheaper mags and spend $55 for the bonz and have an indestructible setup.
    Schralp it Heavy.