mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hayes Mag Plus VS. Magura Marta SL

I'm building a new mtn. bike and have whittled my brake decision down to either the Hayes Mag Plus or the Magura Marta SL. I can get both of them for about the same price. The reviews on the website seem to be positive for both. I can't decide. I feel like I'm splitting hairs. Recommendations??? They seem to be relatively close in weight, but I've noticed it seems to be easier to find Hayes replacement parts. Also, how are each of them for warranty/customer service? The wheels I will be using with them are new Mavic Crossmax XL disc. Will I need any adaptors for either of these brakes to that wheel?? Any opinions and help is appreciated. Thanks alot.
    Tim

mtbr member
    I just went for my first ride with my new Hayes Mag Plus and love 'em! Great level feel and modulation. A big improvement over my XT hydraulics!

As for adapters, that depends primarily on the mounting tabs on your frame and fork. Your wheels are a 6-bolt pattern and the rotors will bolt right up with no issues.
    MTB - Niner Jet9 RDO
    MTB - '10 S-WORKS 29er hardtail
    Road - '11 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Oakley - High Definition Optics

mtbr member
    I have been riding magura marta's on my blur for the last month and the performance on these brakes is excellent. The modulation on these brakes is so sweet no more tired forearms from all the pumping on the way down. The stopping power on these brakes are unbelievable. If you decide to go with the martas try the regular ones as the only difference on the sl's is the carbon levers.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I have owned owned both...kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by mbikertim
    I'm building a new mtn. bike and have whittled my brake decision down to either the Hayes Mag Plus or the Magura Marta SL. I can get both of them for about the same price. The reviews on the website seem to be positive for both. I can't decide. I feel like I'm splitting hairs. Recommendations??? They seem to be relatively close in weight, but I've noticed it seems to be easier to find Hayes replacement parts. Also, how are each of them for warranty/customer service? The wheels I will be using with them are new Mavic Crossmax XL disc. Will I need any adaptors for either of these brakes to that wheel?? Any opinions and help is appreciated. Thanks alot.
    Tim
    I ride the Hayes Mag now after riding the Martas. I found the shim system to be a pain in the tail. I like the setup system of the Hayes better. I also like the fact the Hayes metallic pads last longer then the organic pads. I like the levers on the Martas better along with the modulation. Tough call. I would probably pick Hayes; however, Magura customer service and modulation are great. The Hayes are cheaper, if that means anything. Universal is selling the Hayes Mag Plus for $169 a wheel.

Take care,

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I never had Maguras, but

i just mounted Hayes Mag on my Blur, after using them on my Jekyll for the last three years. Every problem that the Hayes caused me, was due to my curiosity or my wrong maintenance or handling. I simply cannot resist to investigate how things work....

Seriously: hayes has a great advantage: The brake is mounted to the frame/fork through an adapter. It carries a small additional weight, but offers a quick adjustability without the need to dial with spacers or similar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good deal on Marta's anyone?

Does anyone know where to get Marta's in the states for less than $190. each?

Wayno

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You can find Martas for less.....

Quote Originally Posted by waynomtb

Wayno
    Charles Coker (Hammerheadbikes) is selling Martas for $350 a pair on his website. I picked up a pair of new 04 Marta's for $295 + shipping off E-Bay in November.....been running them on my Quasi and I'm impressed. Great brakes!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markv
    Charles Coker (Hammerheadbikes) is selling Martas for $350 a pair on his website. I picked up a pair of new 04 Marta's for $295 + shipping off E-Bay in November.....been running them on my Quasi and I'm impressed. Great brakes!!
    I agree with Markv, I also picked up my 04 Martas from ebay for $295 plus $12 shipping. The guy I bought them from also had Marta SL's. Just go on ebay and do a search for them he has them all the time.

Sublime Absurdity
    I got two sets of Marta SLs from that same guy on ebay - he is a straight shooter. The thing I like about the Maguras is that their brake fluid is not DOT toxic crap.

Pros:
    awesome stopping power
    great modulation and general brake feel
    light weight

Cons:
    Adjusting the caliper position is done with washers and takes a while
    you can't adjust the engagement point of the levers
    the levers are too big and have ridges pointing at your knuckles - they hurt!

all in all, my complaints are minor compared to how awesome these things work...
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You can adjust the engagement on the Marta levers...

Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    I got two sets of Marta SLs from that same guy on ebay - he is a straight shooter. The thing I like about the Maguras is that their brake fluid is not DOT toxic crap.

Pros:
    awesome stopping power
    great modulation and general brake feel
    light weight

Cons:
    Adjusting the caliper position is done with washers and takes a while
    you can't adjust the engagement point of the levers

all in all, my complaints are minor compared to how awesome these things work...
    With a 2.5 allen wrench....it's hard to see (you may need a flashlight) but there is an adjustment allen head bolt just to the outside of the lever.....BTW I love the feel of both the standard and the SL levers!

Sublime Absurdity
    yeah - that adjusts the position of the levers, but it doesn't seem to adjust the point at which the levers engage. Maybe I'm wrong though - I'll check it out tonight...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I do.

Quote Originally Posted by waynomtb

Wayno

I got my Marta SL's from Adrenaline Bikes fro $350 front and rear. Give Jim a call. I'm not sure what price he can give you cause I've purchased quite a bit from him so he gives me killer deals on stuff. Or you can try eBay. I see them all the time for the same price.

Duc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Cons:Adjusting the caliper position is done with washers and takes a while you can't adjust the engagement point of the levers
    The only problem I am having with my brakes is with the adjustment of the caliper on the rear brake. I am still working on this. Sodade if you have pics of how you did it I would appreciate it. I have already tried it many times and just when I think I got it I hear my pads squeaking where they are hitting the rotor. I will try it again this weekend.

Sublime Absurdity
    Yeah, it was a trial and error process for me and it took a while. Here are the steps:
    1. with the wheel out, use a screwdriver to gently spread the pads fully open
    2. put the wheel on (real important that it is in there straight) and spin it while squeezing the brakes
    3. if the pads are dragging on the rotor, look real carefully to see which side of the caliper pad is too engaged.
    4. take off the caliper and insert some of the supplied washers when you remount it to move the caliper to the right position.
    5. repeat steps 1-4 until it doesn't drag

If the rotor is only hitting the pads during part of the revolution then:
    a. your rotor might be bent
    b. you might just need to sand away any paint on the IS mount (I had to do this on both forks)
    c. you might need to use a different number of washers on the caliper bolts

Let me know if you still have problems and need a pic...

p.s. the Magura folks are really helpful when you call